Fury Catamaran Snorkel and Beach Break excursion review

LizzieP17

Wanted to share our experience on the Fury catamaran excursion from our 6/9 Allure cruise with RCCL.  The catamaran boarded from a nearby pier - short walk after exiting the ship. Crew assisted with passing out snorkel equipment when boarding the catamaran.  The Fury is rather large - and therefore, lots of passengers - I would estimate at least 50 on our boat. There was lots of shaded seating, and some open seating in the rear. The front of the catamaran had a hard floor - no trampoline to lounge on. This area was occupied by the crew and snorkeling equipment when we boarded and later as a dance floor.

The first part of the excursion was dedicated to snorkeling on a reef a very short ride from the pier. The snorkeling itself was pretty good - TONS of fish and a wide variety. The crew insisted that the entire group stick together and follow the crew member in the water leading with a buoy - the entire time we snorkeled (I would estimate about 20-25 minutes) there was constant yelling to stick together and follow the buoy - got rather annoying. Needless to say, that many people trying to crunch together in a group = trying to avoid being kicked! Dividing the group into smaller groups to go out with a crew member would have helped immensely. The crowd and noise did not seem to affect the fish as they were swimming practically right up to our masks! There was a noticeable current when swimming in one direction, then we turned around and it was a very easy drift back. I had children ages 7 and 11 on this excursion - their first open water snorkel - and they handled it easily. Also, water clarity was excellent!

After the snorkel, the crew opened up the bar which served margaritas, beer, and soda. Nice sail over to the "beach break" on a beautiful beach - again, crystal clear water and no seaweed! Included activities on the beach included kayaks, paddle boards, and numerous inflatable slides/obstacle courses/trampolines in the water. No life jackets were required to be worn but were available. The inflatables were a HUGE hit with our kids!  There were lifeguards on the beach and I also noted staff in the water circling around on a kayak as well as with a snorkel to monitor the water. There was a bar on the beach (included) serving margaritas/beer/soda and there was a grill were you could purchase food. Cannot comment on the menu as we did not utilize. Of note, we were the first Fury to pull in to the beach - shortly followed by 3 other Fury catamarans....was nice having the beach to ourselves for a short time. 

After the beach break on the sail back, the crew put on music for line dancing (Macarena, Cotten Eye Joe, Birdie Dance, etc) and recruited everyone to the front to keep the party going. 

Overall, we really enjoyed this excursion and would likely repeat it should we return to Cozumel!  

Thanks for your review! I've been considering this excursion for my upcoming stop in Cozumel. Did you feel like your snorkel and beach time were adequate? And, did you notice if there sufficient loungers on the beach even after the other 3 catamarans arrived?

On 6/19/2019 at 10:13 AM, lab_love123 said:

Thanks for your review! I've been considering this excursion for my upcoming stop in Cozumel. Did you feel like your snorkel and beach time were adequate? And, did you notice if there sufficient loungers on the beach even after the other 3 catamarans arrived?

I wish we had more time snorkeling! But I could stare into the ocean all day 🙂  I was also probably paying more attention to making sure my kids were doing ok than indulging myself, so that ate in to the time I had to gaze under the water!

As far as the beach loungers....I really did not notice. I was in the water the whole time with the kids! They are good swimmers but were not wearing life jackets, and there were blind spots behind the water toys where the water was over their heads...so I felt like I had to keep an eye on them. Maybe in a few years I will be able to relax more!! It was a large beach and there were multiple rows of loungers so I don't think you would have an issue. 

• Like 1

We did this excursion in December and enjoyed it. There weren't many people on our excursion which was great when we snorkeled. Although, I thought the place we snorkeled was just OK - only a few fish, but it's nice to be in the water. It ended up storming for a few minutes after the snorkeling as we were heading to the beach. This closed the harbor which then forced them to have to cancel the rest of the trip.

So they turned the boat around, the sun came back out, they cranked up the music, and served us drinks with a full refund! The crew was great and super friendly. Only wish we had made it to the beach. Even without the refund, it's pretty well priced and I would do it again.

• 2 years later...