Alaska 2019 photo review

cruisinskier

The Radiance of the Seas was still docked as we returned......

DSC03891.jpg

DSC03898.jpg

DSC03914.jpg

We had really enjoyed both tours with Major Marine tours and while there was some duplication, we cannot get enough of the scenery and wildlife!

IMG_2819.jpg

21 hours ago, cruisinskier said:

Sorry folks, having some major issues with Photobucket (surprise....) that are limiting my ability to post.....

Totally immersed in your report. Thanks so much. CC has just begun allowing Imgur to work. I've used Imjur for years. Also Shutterfly. Stopped with PhotoBucket when they blasted the new price deal a few years back.

56 minutes ago, masterdrago said:

Totally immersed in your report. Thanks so much. CC has just begun allowing Imgur to work. I've used Imjur for years. Also Shutterfly. Stopped with PhotoBucket when they blasted the new price deal a few years back.

I’m with you some great pictures and reporting.    

I use shutterfly, once photobucket started to charge for storage i quit them lol 

I have thousands of pictures on there.   All free.    And I like that it’s also kinda like an additional back up system.   

Thanks again for all the great pics and reviews 

8 hours ago, masterdrago said:

Thanks and I agree with you both that there are probably better options out there.   My problem is I have so many thinge linked to Photobucket that they would stop working if I changed.   I did avoid paying their ridiculous prices a while back and have only recently reactivated the account (and started doing reviews again.....).  Thanks for following along!!

Jerry

• Like 1

Saturday May 25, 2019 - boarding the Azamara Quest

After another quiet evening at our VRBO property, boarding day was finally upon us!  We had booked about 18 months in advance.   There was just one item we need to take care of first.....

There have been many discussions around rental cars in Alaska.   For us, we refused to pay the extremely high one way drop off fees.  Instead we decided that 2 of us would drive the car back to Anchorage on embarkation day and meet the other 2 on-board.   So the guys headed to Anchorage and we had pre-arranged to take the cruise ship shuttle back to the port.  It ended up working out well for us but others may feel it was backtracking or just a loss of time.   There is no right answer, we just weren't paying those fees!!!!

So we were up early and around 6:30 am we were on the road.....it was an uneventful trip except for this guy who decided to make an appearance....photos were taken quickly with my iphone without a zoom!!

IMG_2838.jpg

IMG_2839.jpg

IMG_2840_1.jpg

IMG_2842.jpg

We dropped the car back at the airport, and grabbed a taxi to the Egan Centre where we met up with other cruisers who were taking the shuttle down to Seward.   Yes we lost a few hours of our day but we saved something like $800 by doing this.

The bus drive down to Seward was uneventful and it was nice to have someone else driving.....and then we were back in Seward and our ship had arrived!!

Our first view of the Azamara Quest!!

IMG_2860.jpg

Check in!

IMG_2863.jpg

And headed to the ship!

IMG_2866.jpg

IMG_2867.jpg

IMG_2868.jpg

After grabbing a bite of food, we spent the next hour or two wandering the ship and making sure the drinks were cold 🙂

Here are a few photos of the ship.....

IMG_2879.jpg

IMG_2882.jpg

Mosaic Cafe

IMG_2885.jpg

The Den

IMG_2896_1.jpg

IMG_2899.jpg

The Patio

IMG_2901.jpg

IMG_2904.jpg

Edited by cruisinskier

On 7/2/2019 at 5:22 PM, cruisinskier said:

Thanks and I agree with you both that there are probably better options out there.   My problem is I have so many thinge linked to Photobucket that they would stop working if I changed.   I did avoid paying their ridiculous prices a while back and have only recently reactivated the account (and started doing reviews again.....).  Thanks for following along!!

Jerry

Great shots of the Moose and the interior of the Azamara! Thanks again for sharing. Many folks ask about what camera to bring. This shows that many unexpected shots walk right into you, so phone works super. I took more gear than I used but luckily, I left some of the slider stuff at home. I did discover that my GoPro takes great pix as well as make video.

When I dropped PB, I got all my images off there site with their feature to zip them as a single file. I'm now getting regular email from them that my account is over limit but the account no longer exist. I'm thinking it's just a scammer.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 7:50 AM, masterdrago said:

Great shots of the Moose and the interior of the Azamara! Thanks again for sharing. Many folks ask about what camera to bring. This shows that many unexpected shots walk right into you, so phone works super. I took more gear than I used but luckily, I left some of the slider stuff at home. I did discover that my GoPro takes great pix as well as make video.

When I dropped PB, I got all my images off there site with their feature to zip them as a single file. I'm now getting regular email from them that my account is over limit but the account no longer exist. I'm thinking it's just a scammer.

Agree.   I used a combination of quick shots on my iPhone10r and my real camera, a Sony rx10iv.   I have never really been one for interchangeable lens, etc and usually used higher end point & shoot cameras.   Last year I  finally graduated to a bridge camera with a ultra-zoom lens.   I have had no regrets with this camera but am still learning.... https://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/compacts/sony_dscrx10iv

OK, back to the review.....we spent the first night exploring the ship and had dinner in the main dining room.   I have to say the food on Azamara was the best I have ever had at sea!  Still not sure it justified the price but that debate is for another day.....

Sunday May 26, 2019 - Hubbard Glacier

The highlight of our first full day on the Quest was cruising into Hubbard Glacier.......we had a very overcast day however they had actually delayed our time as the weather was supposed to clear up....it did brighten some while we were around the glacier!

In the distance, we could see Hubbard Glacier, and the Golden Princess 

DSC03922.jpg

Our pilot was just arriving to guide us through to the glacier...

DSC03949.jpg

DSC03956.jpg

DSC03961.jpg

DSC03963.jpg

DSC03967.jpg

Drop off complete!!

DSC03981.jpg

People were starting to gather on our outer decks as we approached the glacier......

IMG_3022.jpg

And ice was starting to build up in the water.....

IMG_3026.jpg

IMG_3027.jpg

DSC04010.jpg

We were still a fair distance out from the glacier, but the Golden Princess had moved past the glacier now....

DSC04048.jpg

We were now close enough where I could zoom in and see the blue in the ice.  It is hard to get perspective but the height of the glacier is roughly equal to a 40 story building 

DSC04127.jpg

DSC04140.jpg

DSC04151.jpg

DSC04159.jpg

DSC04168.jpg

The Golden Princess was now out of our way and the glacier was all ours to visit

DSC04163.jpg

• Like 2

We were now about half a mile from the glacier which was as close as we could get, but the sky was clearing and the detail of the glacier was amazing as you could see the compressed layers.....

DSC04300.jpg

DSC04306.jpg

DSC04312.jpg

DSC04316.jpg

DSC04356.jpg