Heat on the Regatta????

Herman The Cat

I have a friend who boarded the Regatta in Seattle yesterday for an Alaska cruise. She just emailed me and said, “Only real issue (and I've spoken to two cruise employees) is that there is NO HEAT on ship except for the cabins. mean it is cold. Everyone walking around with winter coats on or fleece jackets/vests. Staff wearing black sweaters and one kid has a cap on! ...I had called and they told me there was heat on ship. Reality "only a/c that circulates the air.”

I have never heard of such a thing! I just called Oceania and asked if the ship had heat in the public areas and the rep said yes. I then said, “well, here is the situation...” He put my on hold and came back and said “the ship doesn’t have heat at this time.” I asked him to clarify whether he meant it was due to a mechanical issue and would be fixed or the ship is not equipped with heat in public areas. He said it is not equipped with heat!!!

I have never heard of such a thing. How can you send a ship to Alaska without heat in public spaces????

The definition of hot or cold is relative to what one is used to.  We live in a cold (relatively speaking) climate, and find many venues too warm.  What we really need to know is the actual temperature, but that would require carrying a personal room thermometer  with you.  

An example is that we have friends from a warmer area, and they wear coats in our house when they visit us, even though we think the temperature is great. 

6 hours ago, Herman The Cat said:

How can you send a ship to Alaska without heat in public spaces????

I had a similar opinion until I actually visited Alaska. I remember packing Parkas et al for my first Alaska cruise.

Ships "Summer" up there, so the temperatures are usually quite warm.

As an example,  we once hosted what we considered to be a lavish "Glacier Bay" cocktail party, having  scored a big big Suite on the Coral Princess (date =  June 9) , which went awry because our guests deserted us for the pool deck when the mercury topped 95!

The AC in the Suite just could not keep up with the demand.  

I got off regatta yesterday after a great week long cruise and there was heat as far as I could tell. The public spaces were comfortable and warm tho the outside temps were quite cool and it was too cold to be on deck (or go outside, esp when at sea, without a coat and hat (at least for me!). I wore a sweater inside all week because I knew it was cold outside! (And if someone opened a deck door nearby to come inside it was chilly for a second!)

7 hours ago, Herman The Cat said:

I have a friend who boarded the Regatta in Seattle yesterday for an Alaska cruise. She just emailed me and said, “Only real issue (and I've spoken to two cruise employees) is that there is NO HEAT on ship except for the cabins. mean it is cold. Everyone walking around with winter coats on or fleece jackets/vests. Staff wearing black sweaters and one kid has a cap on! ...I had called and they told me there was heat on ship. Reality "only a/c that circulates the air.”

I have never heard of such a thing! I just called Oceania and asked if the ship had heat in the public areas and the rep said yes. I then said, “well, here is the situation...” He put my on hold and came back and said “the ship doesn’t have heat at this time.” I asked him to clarify whether he meant it was due to a mechanical issue and would be fixed or the ship is not equipped with heat in public areas. He said it is not equipped with heat!!!

I have never heard of such a thing. How can you send a ship to Alaska without heat in public spaces????

LOL bs.  😁. I just returned from Alaska cruise on Regatta.   The ship was plenty warm.   So warm,  I wore a tee shirt and jeans most of the time, except for dinner in the GDR/specialty restaurants, where I wore a light sweater and dockers.   Only time I needed a jacket was when I was out on deck.

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone. I smell a rat—I just don’t get it.  The staff is wearing sweaters inside and knit caps.  The traveler is someone from New England so forget about the relative temperature—she’s used to the cold and knows what cold is. They are wearing their coats on inside in the Horizon Lounge. I can understand if doors are opening and closing and cold air is coming from time to time but it seems very odd to me. She was told the a/c only circulates air and there is no heat...and that it will be warmer when they get to Alaska. 

I’ve been to Alaska 6x, and yes, it’s a temperate rainforest and Juneau in February was warmer than New England so I understand that it can get warm up there. 

For those who got off the ship last week, was the stretch between Seattle and the first port chilly and then it warmed up? Perhaps that’s it. Hoping it warms up for them.

I hope it warms up for them too! Seattle when we docked was probably more than 20 degrees cooler then when we left the prev week (when it was Hot). Maybe that temp difference plus having doors open due to disembarkation/embarkation made  things cooler. The library was almost too warm- I kept dozing off there! 

Unless someone that is currently on the Regatta posts, we have no clue as to what’s going on at this precise moment. Someone that just got off the ship said they had heat. So maybe a problem that just appeared. If so, I’m sure they’re working on it.

Why the conspiracy theory. Mechanical breakdowns occasionally happens, if it did in this case, which is unconfirmed.

the pool deck staff may wear wooly hats  but never seen any other indoor staff wearing them 

We only have your  word that there is no heat

I am sure if this was true  we will hear about  it here soon!!

Conspiracy theory

they are saving $$ to pay all those that cancelled the non Cuba cruises 🙄