Website pricing. Is it just me?

L1211

Working on a post New Years family cruise. Not sure about MSC based on reviews but thought I should at least check out pricing. How’s this for misleading?  Search for dates and ports then click on the box that reads “starting at $449pp” for my selected cruise dates and port only to see that interior cabins start actually at $1262?  That may be a great price so why offer it in the search results at 1/3 the actual price?  I’m not sure I’d sail in a suite for the initial offer if $449 on MSC based on reviews but must admit, the search results are quite misleading. 

FA9557F6-D659-4623-A39D-AA98AEF1B676.png

5866F502-7A3E-48C2-8672-891635DD7C0D.png

The prices are not misleading...!

They show the starting price per person and a “*” asterisk next to the price.

”*” = *Government fees and taxes and any surcharges are additional per person as are expenses of a personal nature such as shore excursions, gift store purchases, spa, gambling, or alcoholic beverages.Includes shipboard accommodations, ocean transportation, on-board meals (excluding in specialty and themed restaurants), some beverages, daily entertainment including theater and lounge shows.

On the screen where you select the cabin category & experience the price is shown per cabin and number of passengers = total price.

You notice the same with airline prices, some airlines show the price per person and add the feed & taxes at check-out and some airlines show the total price after you enter the number of passengers.

If I’m understanding you guys, the initial price was shown lowest PP rate and when I clicked on that I got a cabin rate with taxes, etc?  I thought they were apples to apples pricing. Makes more sense now!  Thank you. 

6 minutes ago, L1211 said:

If I’m understanding you guys, the initial price was shown lowest PP rate and when I clicked on that I got a cabin rate with taxes, etc?  I thought they were apples to apples pricing. Makes more sense now!  Thank you. 

In your example it is mostly apples to apples.  The $449pp is the base price to which taxes and fees are applied.  However, the real base price of a cabin is based on double occupancy, so the $449pp you are shown is based on double occupancy as well.  If one person were to occupy it, that single person would pay double the fare (although not double the port taxes).

4 hours ago, kodesthemoose said:

In your example it is mostly apples to apples.  The $449pp is the base price to which taxes and fees are applied.  However, the real base price of a cabin is based on double occupancy, so the $449pp you are shown is based on double occupancy as well.  If one person were to occupy it, that single person would pay double the fare (although not double the port taxes).

A single person does not pay double.

1 hour ago, modes said:

A single person does not pay double.

Ah, I didn't realize MSC prices differently than other cruise lines for single occupants - on most, the single supplement is basically another fare, less taxes. I discovered that a balcony room for 2 costs $1,531.66 including about $275.66 in taxes and fees, so the fare is $1,256, or $628 per person.  But that same balcony room for 1 is $1,234.83 including $137.83 in taxes and fees, so the fare for one person is $1,097.  Not quite double.