Upgrades and Boarding

joshkathy

First time cruiser with RCCL and wondering how they handle upgrades. Sailed Celebrity three years ago and if you were one of the first to board you had first shot at upgrades for phenomenal prices. Does this work on RCCL? And when is the earliest you can get on the ship realistically?

I will "bump" your question for you...

I would have to say that it would obviously depend on your sailing date and how full the ship is at the time. I have heard of pier upgrades, but have never done one, myself. (we are platinum RCCL members)

There are topics on the board related to your inquiry... and from what I have read, they can be more expensive than if previously booked.

Good luck, whatever the outcome!

Wecome to the boards joshkathy.

Royal Caribbean does not normally do upgrades for free. If you want one anytime prior to the sailing day you will pay the going rate unless there was a price drop accross the board.

However - on the day of sailing, if the ship is not full, many have been successful getting upgrade at the pier. These are not free but can cost alot less. You have to get there early, check-in completely and then ask to see the pier coordinator. They are very friendly and tell you what options are available - there will be none if the ship is full.

If there are upgrades available, you have to pay on the spot. The most cost effective upgrade is one from a balcony to a suite ($400 per cabin, not per person on a 7 day).

You can do a search on pier upgrade for additional prices. Upgrading from an inside to an outside at the pier does not save that much.

It does happen - we upgraded from a balcony to an Owner's Suite on the Mariner for $400 in Dec '04. The key is to book what you will be happy with and don't count on an upgrade - but it helps to be lucky!

Lou

Archived