Jewellery Shopping in Ochos Rios

kg66

We are on NCL's Jewel March 19/06 and will be stopping in Ochos Rios for a day. I heard there's wonderful jewellery shopping there. Can anyone recommend where to go. We're looking for rings in particular. It's our 10th anniversary, and I want to get matching anniversary bands. Thanks for any info.

One of the top shopping areas is Soni’s Plaza, on Main Street, filled with duty-free shops offering good buys on jewelry, watches, perfumes, liquor and more. Top shops here include Chulani Jewelers (fine gold and gemstone jewelry, watches and perfumes), Casa De Oro (sells everything from Tiffany watches to Mikimoto pearls), The Gold Mine (features Krieger, Bulova, Swiss Military watches and fine jewelry) and others.

Another top shopping area is the Tajmahal Shopping Centre. This open-air mall is home to Bijoux Jewelers (Breitling watches, Raymond Weil watches, Swarovski crystal, Baccarat crystal, Hummel figurines, Fendi leather), Casa De Oro (Mikimoto pearls, Fendi leather, Cartier leather, Tag Heuer watches, Tiffany watches and jewelry, Rado watches, and an extensive perfume center) and Mohan’s Duty Free Shop (crystal, perfumes, cigars, Cross and Parker pens and Swiss Army knives).

Couples Resort has a jewelry store in it. If you get a cab or tour to take you there, tell the guards you want to shop at the jewelry store and they will probably let you in. We purchased a few pieces there and felt the product was great and prices were wonderful. I will look for the card of the guy and give you contact info, but he is certainly worth checking out. Friends we travelled with got a Tag watch in Ocho Rios for a great price. Saved I think $1,000 over US prices. The store was in Island Village, but I forget the name. It was near the center with the gazebo area. You will know what I mean when you see it.

You can indeed get some good bargains in Jamaica, but to do so you MUST know your jewelry (stones, gold, etc.) and you MUST be a good negotiator. Unfortunately, not all dealers are honest (just like anywhere).

I agree with Runner15km above. We love to deal with those shops he mentioned above. I think their prices are better than Cozumel - probably because there are less cruise ships that dock in Ocho than in Cozumel. Also, most itineraries stop in Ocho Rios before they stop in Cozumel so the shop owners know that some passengers wait to buy in Cozumel. I've bought rings in some of those shops where I paid 1/2 what was listed.

Archived