Fitness and Wine questions-leaving Sunday

kingwell

I am new to the boards and a first-timer on RCCL (cruised once 10 years ago). We are leaving on the AOS on Sunday, so fast responses will be appreciated. (:

I am frustrated with the lack of specific fitness class info I am finding. (I plan to eat and workout alternately to avoid gaining anything, while also not missing a single meal!) One post I saw said the compasses are available online; however, I haven't been able to find them.

A co-cruiser said the fitness classes (basic aerobics and yoga are what I'm looking for) cost extra. Is this true? If so, how much? Are there at least a lot of options?

Also, I read somewhere that you can bring aboard two bottles of wine (if they are not on the cruise's wine list) for a $12 corkage fee. Is this true? Has anyone done this recently?

Thanks in advance...and any other first-timer tips would be appreciated. I already have my bonine (thanks to this BB), sunscreen, new bathing suit, and have registered online.

The supplemental classes - yoga, spinning, aeorbics - are $10 / class. You have option to tip beyond that. In most cases, class size is limited and there are sign up sheets in the Ship Shape Center. You might want to stop by early in your cruise and sign up so you get what you want. Classes are usually in the morning and late afternoon. The quality of the classes varies based on the instructor. I usually sign up for a class or 2 and get a feel for how they are run, before committing to a cruise worth's.

Best of luck on not gaining any weight!

When we were on Vision last week, I saw that they were adding a 15% gratuity to the yoga, spinning and Pilates classes. So count on $11.50 instead of $10 for each, maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised. They also have free classes, such as stretching, walking around the deck, maybe water classes, dance lessons, etc. You can get plenty of exercise on the equipment & taking the free classes, IMHO, plus remember to take the stairs instead of the elevators - that'll burn some calories!

As for wine, the official rule is that you cannot bring any liquor onboard, period. There is no exception for wines not on their list, although I've heard some chatter about people being able to talk their way onto the ship with their wine. In reality, the only place I've seen liquor confiscated at embarkation has been the port of Los Angeles, on Vision of the Seas. They have a desk where you're supposed to give it up, and get it back at the end of the cruise. Now, we went through security, then checked in and didn't pass the desk until we were boarding, so I don't see how they expected to catch anybody. But the woman didn't have a wine list handy, so there would be no way to prove that they do or don't have a particular wine onboard.

Have a great cruise!

I am a fitness buff and have cruised on AOS.

I found the yago, pilates, etc.to be NOT worth it, but it would likely be fine for someone who does not do those workouts regularly.

The gym itself is excellent as is the sauna and steam area.

And the free aerobics classes are quite good.

I bring my own and pay a corkage fee and have not had a problem.

JMO.

Caviargirl, you only pay corkage in the dining room, not at embarkation, yes? We've often brought wine on board & enjoyed it in our cabin with no corkage fee.

Yes, and it needs to be a wine not on their list, which is an easy requirement to satisfy.

Thanks to all for the comments so far.

I am disappointed that classes cost more...maybe I'm cheap, but I feel like charging for aerobics classes, soft drinks, and high-end coffee when you've paid for an "all-inclusive" cruise (that's part of the appeal for me) is kinda crappy, but I'm about two steps away from boarding at this point, so at least I'm prepared.

Anyone else share my opinion?

But there are some free aerobics/fitness classes, then others with a fee? And tipping your instructor...goodness. Guess I am cheap. Frugal sounds nicer.

I am a fitness buff and have cruised on AOS.

I found the yago, pilates, etc.to be NOT worth it, but it would likely be fine for someone who does not do those workouts regularly.

The gym itself is excellent as is the sauna and steam area.

And the free aerobics classes are quite good.

I bring my own and pay a corkage fee and have not had a problem.

JMO.

Thanks for the info!

In addition to the pay as you go exercises, there are many free ones as well, most sea days should have an aerobics class, morning stretch and walking as well as access to treadmills, stationary bicycles, elipical and weights. Plenty to keep you as active as you want. Some daily compass are also found at http://www.cruiseclues.com and here is a link to someones AOS compass from early 2005. http://community.webshots.com/album/330478348VdOGRu

Enjoy your cruise... don't forget to participate in the events that give you ship shape $, a little extra incentive to be active.

Archived