Overnight in port

Mrs.Murphy

We are in Reijkavik from 12.00 to 12.00 the next day and so have an overnight. Will there be any problem soon within us getting off the boat early (I.e. 5am ish) for a private excursion? As in will there be a gangway open?

Like mentioned by KeithJenner, you can come and go as you please as the ship will be like a "floating hotel" for you while in Reykjavik. Just be aware that the ship docks a bit from the city center of Reykjavik and I believe ALL private shore excursions have pick-up places downtown, as they are not allowed to pick up from the port (at least that was the case when we did the Iceland cruise almost 2 years ago). If that is still the case, just be prepared that there might not be easy to find any transportation at that time to get you in to town.

5 hours ago, Mrs.Murphy said:

We are in Reijkavik from 12.00 to 12.00 the next day and so have an overnight. Will there be any problem soon within us getting off the boat early (I.e. 5am ish) for a private excursion? As in will there be a gangway open?

Gangway is always open. You'll need to be back onbaord by 11:30. 

4 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

Just be aware that the ship docks a bit from the city center of Reykjavik and I believe ALL private shore excursions have pick-up places downtown, as they are not allowed to pick up from the port (at least that was the case when we did the Iceland cruise almost 2 years ago).

That was not the case last summer.  The private tour vans met us at the port (we had to walk down the dock area to the entrance) and dropped us back at the same place. 

In any case, the OP will certainly want to ask the tour operator where to meet.

• Like 1

I asked about collection and they said

"You can choose the Skarfabakki cruise terminal as your pick up and drop off location.

The bus will arrive at the big parking lot by the port where all the other buses are parked."

So it sounds worst case is a walk to the port car park area? Does this sound familiar?

10 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

Like mentioned by KeithJenner, you can come and go as you please as the ship will be like a "floating hotel" for you while in Reykjavik. Just be aware that the ship docks a bit from the city center of Reykjavik and I believe ALL private shore excursions have pick-up places downtown, as they are not allowed to pick up from the port (at least that was the case when we did the Iceland cruise almost 2 years ago). If that is still the case, just be prepared that there might not be easy to find any transportation at that time to get you in to town.

5 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

That was not the case last summer.  The private tour vans met us at the port (we had to walk down the dock area to the entrance) and dropped us back at the same place. 

In any case, the OP will certainly want to ask the tour operator where to meet.

1 hour ago, Mrs.Murphy said:

"You can choose the Skarfabakki cruise terminal as your pick up and drop off location.

The bus will arrive at the big parking lot by the port where all the other buses are parked."

So it sounds worst case is a walk to the port car park area? Does this sound familiar?

I am very sorry about causing confusion - it seems like when we were there in July 2017, they (the city of Reykjavik) had a TEMPORARILY "ban" regarding pick-up locations at the cruise port for the summer of 2017. I just checked the e-mail from the private tour operator that I received at the time, regading change of pick-up location, and it states "Due to organizational changes in Reykjavík City Centre, buses will only be allowed to stop at certain designated bus stop locations in the centre of Reykjavík, starting June 1, 2017".

So it seems like there is absolutely no problems in this regard, so again - I am very sorry for giving the wrong information!

2 hours ago, Mrs.Murphy said:

It sounds like what I was describing in my earlier comment. You walk down to the entrance to the pier area. The minivans for the tour operators were parked there waiting for us. (There was a shuttle bus that was taking people from the ship to the entrance and back as well.)