Walk to Canada Place - Vancouver

Signage at the pier is best described as less-than-stellar, but if it's this year all of the really awful weeks have passed already (when the new folks are being trained, past folks retrained as it's a seasonal operation, and any new policies/procedures being tested).

If you're in remotely decent shape walking from the Barclay, even with your suitcases, is certainly possible - it's a hair under a mile on foot. By far the best way to avoid any poor directions is to avoid the ground floor of Canada Place entirely - instead of walking in from the sidewalk head down the pedestrian ramp into the car park. This is where you'll find bag drop, which is step 1 of the process - and it seems like after that they have been consistently using one of the big conference halls for the initial check-in & 'holding pen' area even on quieter days, so you'd head upstairs to the Convention Centre's Hall C from there.

When your group is released from holding and allowed to go through Security, the route becomes much less subject to any possible mistakes as folks will be pointing you where to go and everyone goes through the exact same Security line, then US CBP (except a handful of coastal cruises with a Canadian port next, who go straight to the final step) before you separate into different routes for each ship. There's usually a second 'check-in' at that point to actually get your cruise cards and, if you are fancy, there may be a waiting area with seats and snacks to use until you can actually board the ship.

• Like 1

The Fairmont Waterfront hotel is across the street from the Pan Pacific and Canada Place - you can access the port by way of an underground passage.

The Fairmont Pacific Rim and the Marriott Pinnacle are a couple of blocks away and easy to walk to the Port as is the Coast Coal Harbour.

Hope this helps!

Dennis

I'd throw Auberge, Pinnacle Harbourfront, le Soleil, Delta, and Days Inn onto Dennis' list - but in every case I'd check the actual distance as I have no idea how far an 80 year old in decent shape thinks is too far with a suitcase! They're all within 800 yards or less, good sidewalks, and whether slightly uphill or downhill there's no steep slope worth worrying about in that neck of the woods.

22 hours ago, martincath said:

I'd throw Auberge, Pinnacle Harbourfront, le Soleil, Delta, and Days Inn onto Dennis' list - but in every case I'd check the actual distance as I have no idea how far an 80 year old in decent shape thinks is too far with a suitcase! They're all within 800 yards or less, good sidewalks, and whether slightly uphill or downhill there's no steep slope worth worrying about in that neck of the woods.

I second Pinnacle Harbourfront.  We stayed (and walked) with a 5 year old in tow last year. Completely doable!

On 6/28/2019 at 10:51 AM, Urban trekker said:

The Fairmont Waterfront hotel is across the street from the Pan Pacific and Canada Place - you can access the port by way of an underground passage.

The Fairmont Pacific Rim and the Marriott Pinnacle are a couple of blocks away and easy to walk to the Port as is the Coast Coal Harbour.

Hope this helps!

Dennis

Dennis, thank you. This is very helpful information.  We embark on Aug 17, the day of the SeeWheeze Marathon.  So we can use that underground walkway that morning? 

I asked in another  thread as well if the Fairmont will take our bags to the 

port?  If so, do they go all the way to the cabin?  Or do we have to collect them before such as for US customs?  We are US citizens and will have been in Canada 4 days by then. 

Thanks . 

Yes you will be able to use that walkway. As for baggage - I will let some of the other locals answer that one - pretty sure they will give the bags to the porters and the next time you see them is at your cabin.

As a side note - I usually volunteer for the Sea Wheeze race so should be in the area. I believe that the Sea wheeze race actually starts next door at Jack Poole Plaza so it shouldn't have a big impact on Canada Place.

Dennis

Thanks Denis. I actually just talked to the Fairmont Waterfront. She explains she process. Bell services will transport the bags and he next time we see them will be in the cabin. We just need to notify bell services  in advance and show our boarding passes.  

I understand that the PP and the two Fairmonths near  CP have a service where they will take your bags from your room and will arrange to have them delivered right to your cabin on the ship. Do any other hotels within, say, one mile walking distance also have such a service? Sadly, we travel pretty heavy and this would be a great help. Thanks.

We walked to the Sutton Place Hotel, which is slightly closer, after our cruise tour in 2012. The good thing is that you'll be walking primarily downhill from the hotel, whereas we were walking uphill with our luggage.

I took the Sky Train from my hotel last month to Waterfront Station. There were several local tourism guides around to ask directions to the cruise ships. I embarked on a Wednesday, and there was only one other ship in port and neither of them is huge: the Volendam and the Island Princess. 

• Like 1