Does the Westerdam in Shanghai get right to the Bund area ?

sailingdutchy

Hi all , we were on the Volendam a couple of years ago and our cruise port in Shanghai was right near The Bund .

For those who have been in Shanghai since on the Westerdam was the ship able and allowed to get to that port or did you have to go to one of the other Cruise Ports near the mouth of the Huangpu river which is a fair distance from the Bund area .

I am contemplating a cruise on her in the spring and could possibly be twice in Shanghai so I think it is important to know . 

I appreciate hearing about your experiences .

Tony :classic_biggrin:

We were on the Westerdam last fall, on that trip we did NOT dock at the Bund area. We were docked, with a couple of other cruise ships in an area approximately an hour bus ride from downtown. I never knew the name of the docking area. That remote docking was my only major disappointment of the either voyage from Vancouver to Hong Kong.  Other than that, the trip was a  total success for us. Hope you have a great time if you decide to take the cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sailingdutchy said:

Hi all , we were on the Volendam a couple of years ago and our cruise port in Shanghai was right near The Bund .

For those who have been in Shanghai since on the Westerdam was the ship able and allowed to get to that port or did you have to go to one of the other Cruise Ports near the mouth of the Huangpu river which is a fair distance from the Bund area .

I am contemplating a cruise on her in the spring and could possibly be twice in Shanghai so I think it is important to know . 

1 hour ago, sailingdutchy said:

We are on the Westerdam from Jan 16-Feb 29.  We will not be docking at the Bund. alas.

Temma

• Thanks 1

You won't be docked in the Bund but HAL does provide free and frequent shuttle buses that go right there.  Our 28-day China, South Korea, & Japan Collector cruise in February 2019 on the Westerdam was fantastic.  One of our best cruises ever.  HAL even provided free shuttles in most ports.  One word of caution: a number of the port terminals are really large and require lots of walking to and from the ship.  More than a mile in some cases.  On shore wheelchairs after the gangways are the responsibility of the port and some ports only provided a few.  Keep this in mind when deciding on shore excursions.  Some passengers were disappointed and cancelled shore excursions.

• Like 1

Larger ships seem to be restricted now to the Wusongkou (Baoshan) Cruise Terminal.  In 2017 on the Volendam we did dock at the Bund.  It's a much better experience - no coordinating of bus rides to get in and out of the city, and an amazing light show at night.

Here is a link that has the terminal schedule:  a tour operator's site with the terminal schedule

• Thanks 1

Thank you everybody for your helpful replies , too bad that the Westerdam can not get to the downtown Terminal ,in 2017 we had 3 days in Shanghai because we were kind of held " hostage " for an extra day there  by the Chinese . Such a nice and convernient port to dock at .   Have to think long and hard if I would let this negative spoil another cruise to Asia but I might book a cruise on the Westerdam to Shanghai anyways .

Tony:classic_biggrin:

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2019 at 7:20 AM, Primus said:

You won't be docked in the Bund but HAL does provide free and frequent shuttle buses that go right there.  Our 28-day China, South Korea, & Japan Collector cruise in February 2019 on the Westerdam was fantastic.  One of our best cruises ever.  HAL even provided free shuttles in most ports.  One word of caution: a number of the port terminals are really large and require lots of walking to and from the ship.  More than a mile in some cases.  On shore wheelchairs after the gangways are the responsibility of the port and some ports only provided a few.  Keep this in mind when deciding on shore excursions.  Some passengers were disappointed and cancelled shore excursions.

Bumping this thread, apologies to the OP. I am wondering if Primus has a trip review of this cruise? If yes, can you post a link? My travel bug has bitten.