Cruise lines ratings

crusingici

I am new to cruising - so am researching the various lines as to what they offer. I do have 2 upcoming cruises booked - with different lines.

I know I read somewhere a type of rating scale that compared the various lines to hotel categories -- a ranking system -- such as Motel 6, Holiday Inn, Hilton, etc.

Anyone know where that info is found? Or where else I might get a general idea of the various cruise lines?

Thanks,

G

There exists rating for cruise lines such as Budget, Mainstream, Ultra, etc. However, just like hotels, the list is roughly monotonic with cost. In addition, there can be minor variations across ships within a cruise line. In this regard, perhaps one of the most extensive (and apparently, unbiased) list of cruise ship rankings by cost can be found at http://www.7blueseas.com/about/ShipShopperIndex.asp.

Go and take a look at the February issue of Conde Nast Traveler magazine. In that issue, they rank the cruise ships according to a national poll of cruisers. You can also check out a book called The Complete Guide to Cruising which gives ships stars, similar to the stars given to hotels.

I am a long-time subscriber to Condé Nast Traveler and certainly appreciate their motto "Truth In Travel". However, with respect to cruise ships in the February 2006 issue it only purports to list the top 80 ships in the World out of some 230 ships. Thus, one will not find out anything about the Carnival Holiday (for example) which had the lowest ShipShopper Index. It seems odd that none of Cunard's ships are listed or that it is not even included in their list of "Top Cruise Lines", which presumably is meant to be more comprehensive than just the top 80. Never having been on that line, I wonder if their readers are on to something?

• 2 months later...
I am new to cruising - so am researching the various lines as to what they offer. I do have 2 upcoming cruises booked - with different lines. I know I read somewhere a type of rating scale that compared the various lines to hotel categories -- a ranking system -- such as Motel 6, Holiday Inn, Hilton, etc.

Anyone know where that info is found? Or where else I might get a general idea of the various cruise lines? Thanks, G

From another web site's ranking of the major cruise lines which is always open to interpretation or debate. Anyway, here it is...

DELUXE CRUISE LINES - a high quality product - at a high quality price.

- Radisson Seven Seas Cruises

- Seabourn Cruise Line

- Silverseas Cruises

PREMIUM CRUISE LINES - a high quality product at a more affordable price.

- Celebrity Cruises

- Cunard Line

- Hapag-Lloyd Cruise Lines

- Holland America Line

- Oceania Cruises

- Peter Deilmann Cruises

- SeaDream Yacht Club

- Windstar Cruises

MASS MARKET CRUISE LINES - a good product at an affordable price..

- Carnival Cruise Line

- Costa Cruises

- Delta Queen Steamboat Company

- Disney Cruises

- Fred Olsen Cruise Lines

- MSC Cruises

- Norwegian Cruise Line

- P&O Cruise Lines

- Princess Cruises

- Royal Caribbean International

- Royal Olympic Cruises

- Star Cruises

BUDGET CRUISE LINES - a basic product at a basic price.

- Airtours

- Island Cruises

- Louis Cruise Lines

- Imperial Majesty Cruise Line

- Starlight Cruises

- Thomson Cruises

- Transocean Tours

Archived