Exchange question

Dimension02000

I will be going to Cozumel in December and was wondering if it would be getting to get pesos from my bank in the US or go to someplace like Mega and get pesos from there. I am mainly wanting to not have to worry about carrying around a calculator to ensure that the locals are doing their conversions correctly. I currently do not have a foreign fee free credit card but might be willing to get one if that is going to be my best option.

For a day getting pesos it isn't worth it.  We have seldom found a place that is going to give you what the exact exchange rate is.  Just know what it is and if they are close you will be fine.  Last January the exchange rate was nearly 19 pesos to the dollar.  We got anywhere from 15 to 18.  We were there 10 days and we never bothered with getting pesos or if we got a lower exchange rate.   Places like Coconuts is going to be on the lower end.

I agree with nascarcruiser.  No need to get pesos.  They will accept $ and it's only pennies off the "official" exchange rate.   Don't use a cambio or ATM in Coz.  You will get charged a "service  fee".

You could get a few pesos from you bank, but if you do not use them all and want to change them back, it ends up costing more than a vendor that gives you an unfavorable exchange rate.

If you are going to be there for one day, just take plenty of small ($1 and $5) currency. There are so many cruise tourists that most places now quote their prices in US dollars.  If you are staying for a week, then getting some pesos might be worth it.