Norwegian Fjords Cruise Packing List

Leaving in two weeks for a week in Europe (Lourdes and Amsterdam) and a week long Norwegian Fjords cruise. It's a girls trip, my mom, my sister and me. Since my dad died in 2016, I try to take my mom on a trip each year.. in 2017, I took her to Hilton Head (with side trips to Savannah and Charleston). She and my dad loved Hilton Head. In 2018,  it was Napa Valley (again, a place she enjoyed with my dad). This year, it's a cruise and a trip to Lourdes (she's never been and was named for Saint Bernadette). 2019, a Disney cruise (something my dad would have never done, lol!)

So, packing light is especially important for my sister and I, so we can help with my mom's  luggage. My sister will have a 21" rolling suitcase and backpack (for her camera and CPAP machine). I am using my Rick Steves backpack, and a LeSPortSac medium tote as my carryon, which I will put in my backpack when dealing with luggage.  This gives my mom a 21" roller, and 2 lightweight trolley bags (Kipling) which can sit on the rollers. So my sister and I will each have something on our back, and a roller bag with a smaller bag siting on top. 

Anyway, a long winded way of saying my priority is packing well!

3-4 bottoms (1 pair jeggings, 2 pants and maybe 1 pair of capris. I'm watching the weather and if it looks really warm, I'll bring them)

8 tops (one is dressier, for dinner on the cruise, 2 3/4 sleeve tunic style tees, 3 lightweight short sleeve tees, 1 3/4 sleeve tee and one lightweight cap sleeve blouse like tee)

2 dresses (one is 32 Degrees dress from Costco, but here it is on Amazon  https://www.amazon.com/32-DEGREES-WOMENS-SLEEVE-MEDIUM/dp/B07Q5BTNYW/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=32%2Bdegrees%2Bdress&qid=1562041254&s=gateway&sr=8-1&th=1. This is for sleepwear and to wear to and from the thermal spa on the ship. The other is a dressy fit and flare, floral on a navy background, for formal nights)

2 dressy pashminas (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MKGP2P2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071FY9WK2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1   These are to wear with dress. I tried to pick two very different colors and styles.)

1 swimsuit

3 shoes (one dressy flats, 1 Keen Mary Janes and 1 pair skechers. I really need two pairs of "everyday" shoes, because if I don't vary them, my feet hurt)

1 navy cardigan, 1 Eddie Bauer packable rain jacket and one zip up fleece sweatshirt. I am debating the sweatshirt and wondering if I should bring a packable vest instead (currently at Costco: https://www.costco.com/32-Degrees-Ladies'-Packable-Vest.product.100473598.html)

2 camisole undershirts

6 underwear

1 shapewear (for tummy and hips, acts as a slip as well)

1 plain pashmina (acts as blanket on the place, a scarf in cold weather, etc)

3 bras (nude, white and black)

3 pairs of socks,

2 trouser socks

1 pair tights

1 pair magic gloves

1 lightweight wicking gaiter

I practice packed and my bag is at about 18 pounds, which I'm happy with. We are planning on purchasing HAL's laundry package. 

Please share any suggestions and comments!

• Like 1

Looks really good and practical, like you've covered the bases. You're getting it down, girl!

Re: fleece vs vest. I bought down vests and stuff sacks for all of us (3) to go around Cape Horn in THEIR summer. We never wore them, and I don't believe they've been worn by any of us since. Watch the weather forecasts, but I vote for the fleece particularly if it has a hood. 

I like that you packed so much and it only weighs 18 pounds - great planning! I try to not bring a lot of shoes because they make luggage so heavy but I brought a very comfortable waterproof shoe - Teva arrowood and they came in very handy.  

we just returned from Norwegian Fjords and I have on suggestion.  If you are going to the North Cape - Nordkapp (?) pack a light weight knit style hat that covers your ears.  It's WINDY there and I was happy to have it.

We had warm and rainy weather - many times on the same day!!

Enjoy your cruise and your wonderful time with your Mom

6 hours ago, crystalspin said:

The wicking gaiter can be pulled up over the ears, but it wouldn't be a bad thing to have a hat too, or a second gaiter -- one for the head, one for the neck. Good thought from @helpmesailaway.

I'm funny and don't (won't) wear a hat. What worked well for me in Alaska was a pashmina draped over my head. I used to wear a fleece headband, but my hair is so short now, I feel like it looks funny.