Need help transportation Manhattan to Cape Liberty port

1 hour ago, chucknmarilyn said:

Flying in to LGA and staying near Pier 15 in Lower Manhattan. What are the best options to get to Cape Liberty from the hotel? Open to ferry, trains, shuttle or Uber.

It looks like you’re doing this Friday, September 5.

Price out the various alternatives to see what might suit you best.  I’m assuming you can manage your luggage since you’re open to ferries and trains.

1) No shuttles available

2) Uber from Pier 15 to Cape Liberty 

3) Uber to World Trade Center PATH Station.  PATH to Exchange Place - $2.75/pp. This gets you across the Hudson River inexpensively.

a). Uber to Cape Liberty OR

b) Accessible Hudson-Bergen Light Rail train to 8th St Bayonne for $2.25/pp getting off at 34th St and calling Uber to get into the port ($10-12)

I usually do the PATH, light rail, Uber route since I stay near a PATH station and just walk there plus I have acquired the appropriate senior passes which reduce my fares to $1 - $1.10.  I enjoy the light rail surface ride to Bayonne.  My advice would be to leave between 9 and 9:30 am.

Thank you so much 138East.  I remember taking some train to Hoboken from Times Square and then the Light Rail to Bayonne and then a taxi to ship. That was several years ago and could mostly have changed plus I'll be in a different area to start. Your suggestions are very helpful. 

42 minutes ago, chucknmarilyn said:

Thank you so much 138East.  I remember taking some train to Hoboken from Times Square and then the Light Rail to Bayonne and then a taxi to ship. That was several years ago and could mostly have changed plus I'll be in a different area to start. Your suggestions are very helpful. 

OK - so you’re not newbies to this at all and know what to expect.  From lower Manhattan World Trade the route is one stop any PATH train to Exchange Place Jersey City instead of Hoboken - http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

At Exchange Place the light rail is right across the plaza on Hudson St.  You MUST take the 8th St Bayonne train.  Lots of service and fewer people between 9 and 10 am.  I’ve never had an issue getting a seat - trains are empty.

Another option - NY Waterways ferry from Pier 11 to Paulus Hook, Jersey City for $8/pp. I’d seriously consider that if I were staying at pier 15.  Sounds like a fun way to set off for a cruise.

Edited by 138east

Hi,  We are needing transportation for 6 going from Cape Liberty to Springhill Suites 338 West 36th St New York City.  There will be 6 of us, more than likely 6 large suitcases.  Looking for something economical, that would not take too much time.  Would splitting into 2 Uber/Lyft be less money than trying to fit all of us into 1?  We would prefer to go together; but it may not be worth the additional cost to get a larger vehicle.  Last year we took Lyft when it was just me and my husband.  I am not opposed to getting transportation to Penn Station NJ and taking the train to Penn Station NY; but not sure if that would really be any savings, and how much additional time it would take.  We only have 1 day for the others to see the sights of NYC, and they have never been there.  Any suggestions would be appreciated, and approximate cost.  Thanks.

25 minutes ago, ILOVEHI50 said:

Hi,  We are needing transportation for 6 going from Cape Liberty to Springhill Suites 338 West 36th St New York City.  There will be 6 of us, more than likely 6 large suitcases.  Looking for something economical, that would not take too much time.  Would splitting into 2 Uber/Lyft be less money than trying to fit all of us into 1?  We would prefer to go together; but it may not be worth the additional cost to get a larger vehicle.  Last year we took Lyft when it was just me and my husband.  I am not opposed to getting transportation to Penn Station NJ and taking the train to Penn Station NY; but not sure if that would really be any savings, and how much additional time it would take.  We only have 1 day for the others to see the sights of NYC, and they have never been there.  Any suggestions would be appreciated, and approximate cost.  Thanks.

What exact date would you be doing this?  What time is your flight supposed to arrive?  The NJ Transit train stops at the airport and costs $13, and would be cost effective for 6 people.  Your hotel is about 4 blocks from NY Penn if you exit to 33rd & 8th Ave.

Edited by 138east

3 minutes ago, 138east said:

What exact date would you be doing this?  What time is your flight supposed to arrive?  The NJ Transit train stops at the airport and costs $13, and would be cost effective for 6 people.  Your hotel is about 4 blocks from NY Penn if you exit to 33rd & 8th Ave.

It would be Sept 7th after we get off the Anthem. 

7 minutes ago, ILOVEHI50 said:

It would be Sept 7th after we get off the Anthem. 

My bad.  I didn’t read your post very well.  

Get a price quote from Dial7 and Carmellimo.  Check Uber prices for your day of the week when Anthem is in Cape Liberty.  Splitting into two groups would likely be more cost effective than trying to get a vehicle to hold 6 people and all your luggage.

2 hours ago, 138east said:

My bad.  I didn’t read your post very well.  

Get a price quote from Dial7 and Carmellimo.  Check Uber prices for your day of the week when Anthem is in Cape Liberty.  Splitting into two groups would likely be more cost effective than trying to get a vehicle to hold 6 people and all your luggage.

Ok.  Thank you.