Any changes on QM2 in last year or two?

Eric2005

I'm interested in knowing if there have been any changes to QM2 in the last year or two.  One of my worries is that they will start playing music on the decks.  That would drive me away.  I hope they can maintain the traditions, reasonable dress code and other standards that made Cunard famous.  

On 7/6/2019 at 5:50 PM, Eric2005 said:

I'm interested in knowing if there have been any changes to QM2 in the last year or two.  One of my worries is that they will start playing music on the decks.  That would drive me away.  I hope they can maintain the traditions, reasonable dress code and other standards that made Cunard famous.  

They have slightly relaxed some dress code items, for example ties are not required for men on non formal evenings. But other than that it is petty much the same ship. By the way, they have long had a Caribbean steel band near the aft pool on sail away evenings, other than that the musical groups play around the ship at various locations and various times. There is no Muzak on the decks on in the passageways or in the lifts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:50 PM, Eric2005 said:

Well I really find the soft pleasant music that is played at the rear decks on Queen Vic to be rather pleasant.I hope they do the same on QM2 adds to the atmosphere. I'm not dead yet!

They do play mood music in the public spaces on QM2. It can't be heard on the side promenades. I haven't spent enough time in the pool areas to know if it's played out there. 

The music is a mix of very laid back covers of old pop songs. I noted a few last month:

• Sweet Child of Mine (Guns N' Roses)
  • Is this Love (Bob Marley)
  • Here Comes the Sun (Beatles)
  • This is No Ordinary Love (Sade)

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2019 at 6:24 AM, Bigmike911 said:

They have slightly relaxed some dress code items, for example ties are not required for men on non formal evenings. But other than that it is petty much the same ship.  

Not sure when it started, but looking back, a tie for gentlemen was optional on informal nights back in December of 2017.  

On 7/9/2019 at 5:17 PM, Liberal_Baggie said:

Well I really find the soft pleasant music that is played at the rear decks on Queen Vic to be rather pleasant.I hope they do the same on QM2 adds to the atmosphere. I'm not dead yet!

You don't need to be dead in order to appreciate some peace and quiet.  Fortunately any piped-in music on Cunard ships has been quiet and has not been offensive to me - so far. If people must have music everywhere they could bring their own ear-buds.

Holland America used to be known for its quiet ambience. There are plenty worse, from what I hear, but I was disappointed in the lack of quiet areas on an Alaska cruise a few years ago. We tried to enjoy a snack on the rear deck but the pop music was a little too loud. Fortunately the side promenade decks were quiet. One morning we went to the equivalent of the Commodore Club  to enjoy the sunrise over a mountain. Before long an employee turned on some horrid music which completely spolied the experience. The racket in some of the venues was so loud even with the doors closed it could be heard 100 metres away.  I hope Cunard does not become like this.

• 2 weeks later...

Two things ; there are no more cloth towels in the public lavatories-and the openings where they were to be deposited are now sealed up. The quality of the hot dogs has deteriorated. No more hot hors d’ouvres in the Commodore  Club (3 things!)😉 

Edited by canoncruiser
spelling

On 7/9/2019 at 2:42 PM, Underwatr said:

They do play mood music in the public spaces on QM2. It can't be heard on the side promenades. I haven't spent enough time in the pool areas to know if it's played out there. 

The music is a mix of very laid back covers of old pop songs. I noted a few last month:

• Sweet Child of Mine (Guns N' Roses)
  • Is this Love (Bob Marley)
  • Here Comes the Sun (Beatles)
  • This is No Ordinary Love (Sade)

What?  No AC/DC???