Mendenhall Glacier after whale watching

janica

From reading on this website, it looks like a stop at the Glacier would be well worth the time, after our whale watching tour. I realize that we would need to prearrange the dropoff with Captain Larry. Our whale watching tour is at 11:30 and the ship will be in port until 9:00pm. Is there public transportation (shuttles, taxis or city bus) that would take us back to the ship after visiting the glacier? Thanks for all of the information that you have shared with me on past posts. I have learned so much! :)

According to what I have read there are regular shuttles to the glacier. When I booked with Capt. Larry for our upcoming cruise I noticed that Orca Enterprises also runs a shuttle. I asked when I confirmed my reservation. It runs every 15 to 30 minutes and costs $12.50 round trip per person. I hope that this will help.

If you pre-arrange a drop off after whale watching with Captain Larry - they will give you a voucher to use to take a shuttle back to the Downtown Juneau area. There are 2 different companies that you can use the voucher with and they seem to run every 30 minutes or so.

The Mendenhall shuttles are $5pp each way per person. They are probably due an increase, so hopefully I will remember to take a look and post back. Either way, not a big amount. :)

Last year, the transfers were $5 each through the 2 shuttle companies but $12.50 RT booked through Capt Larry (with a drop off after whale watching).

Orca Enterprises may or may NOT drop you off and you won't know until you board their bus. They drop you off only if enough people are interested. I don't know the number required. My husband and I were the only ones so we had to go all the way back into town and take the shuttle ..backtracking 13 miles.

We booked with Orca to do the whale watch followed by the glacier next July and the extra charge was $11.00. I have already received a receipt and that was the amount we were charged. They were clear in telling me that we might have to take the shuttle from the dock. I, too, wondered why I had booked this since it appeared to cost me $1.00 more per person than it would have if I had just hopped on the shuttle and paid the $5.00 per way fee. I'm hoping that we won't be the only ones and they will drop us off on their way back.

Orca Enterprises may or may NOT drop you off and you won't know until you board their bus. They drop you off only if enough people are interested. I don't know the number required. My husband and I were the only ones so we had to go all the way back into town and take the shuttle ..backtracking 13 miles.

Katy - had you pre-arranged this in advance with Orca Enterprises? Or did you ask the day of? I have always pre-arranged it and never had a problem.

Katy - had you pre-arranged this in advance with Orca Enterprises? Or did you ask the day of? I have always pre-arranged it and never had a problem.

I phoned before the cruise and asked about being dropped off. I was told if there were enough people interested they would. She gave me the impression that it would not be a problem ....usually it was done.

We did not sign up ahead of the time. I did not hear anything about a charge.

My point is...please have the facts straight about this option if you are counting on it. Somewhere along the line communication was lacking.

The bottom line is because there weren't enough people we were not dropped off. I can understand they would not want to make a special trip for only 2 people.

It wasn't a big deal but it would have saved some time to be dropped off.

I have booked a tour with Captain Larry as well as a one way shuttle to Mendenhall. I wrote him a note after reading about the questions about being dropped off. He assured me that if we pre-book the shuttle he will for sure drop us off at Mendenhall no matter how many of us there are.

Lp56

Archived