Back from the Edge! Rome to Barcelona

ginak1112

We had a wonderful cruise aboard the Edge. We thoroughly enjoyed our Infinite Veranda cabin and the entire ship. It was incredibly hot but we made the best of it. We had been in Amsterdam the week prior and spent a few nights in 100 degree weather in Rome; luckily we had planned on just relaxing at the beautiful pool at our hotel, the Rome Cavalieri, a great decision!

We ate at Fine Cut, Rooftop and the Magic Carpet specialty dinners. We cancelled our Eden dinner because we just could not face another big dinner lol. The rest of the dinners were spent in each of the 4 dining rooms as we had select dining. Being a couple made it very easy to get a table. We never waited. We thought that Tuscany had the best service and friendliest staff. Our favorite specialty item was the short rib appetizer in Cosmopolitan. The magic carpet dinner was lovely, we did the late seating at 8:45 when sailing away from Livorno. It is typically offered 2 times per week with 2 seatings each. You need to book it immediately when you get to the ship. Both nights had sold out. Fine cut was good with the only complaint being the shrimp cocktail; it wasn’t cold and firm like it should be. We didn’t eat much breakfast but did make the late buffet breakfast on 2 mornings. There was a nice variety. We really loved the pizza, a nice thin and crispy crust which has been absent on most cruise lines lately. 

Our IV cabin was great. We never closed the glass doors and left the area open giving us the extra space. It’s a whirlwind of a week with little downtime to sit around but we did open the window when leaving port and taking a nap. We were too tired to notice if the AC was shut off or not when opened so I can’t comment on that. The weather was terribly hot so I like the fact that we had the extra space. If we had a “normal” balcony I don’t think we would have gone out on it much with the weather. When I did the British Isles cruise I never opened it once as it was just too cold. This is a great benefit. The cabin is decorated nicely and very modern. I loved the large bathroom but it did take away some closet space. There was not much floor space inside the closet so I left my shoes outside of it next to the couch. You can charge your phone on only one side of the bed and not the other. They should have included an outlet on both sides. The desk is shorter with a box containing electrical outlets taking up space. I did like the lighted vanity mirror. 

The shows are different from the usual and contain a lot of acrobatics in the theater, club and Eden. There are no broadway showtunes shows. We enjoyed the live performances and especially loved the duo, Gilley and the Girl; they performed Eagles, Carol King and James Taylor, etc. there was a great Whitney Houston show as well as a Jersey Boys show. The Eden show is at 10:15 offered 4 times a week. We saw it one of the nights and enjoyed it. 

The ship is gorgeous with interesting artwork, upscale shops and a great boutique, sexy vibe. There isn’t bingo or ice sculpting or line dancing or any of the old school activities like you may be used to. There were many large extended families from all over the world with lots of children. I did notice the kids on our sea day as it was difficult to enjoy the pool without being splashed. Speaking of the pool: I like the ledge to sit on and the loungers on it but there is almost no spots to get some shade. Where there could be loungers they have placed cabanas which are peculiar because they are behind the pool facing away and don’t seem very desirable. 

All in all we loved the Edge. It’s always difficult to enjoy everything the ship offers on an intensive port itinerary but I think we did a pretty good job seeing and experiencing almost everything.

Edited by ginak1112
  • Like 1

Thank you for your review.

We have a 5 year old and an 8 year old who loves swimming. Hopefully they will not bother the rest as there is no segregation .

Did you see any Asian stir fry table?  Looking forward to fried rice and jumbo shrimps. Hopefully it is the same as what we had in Harmony.

9 minutes ago, Jesseslola said:

Thank you for your review.

We have a 5 year old and an 8 year old who loves swimming. Hopefully they will not bother the rest as there is no segregation .

Did you see any Asian stir fry table?  Looking forward to fried rice and jumbo shrimps. Hopefully it is the same as what we had in Harmony.

We only ate lunch one day at the buffet which was our sea day. I remember seeing shrimp and I’m sure you will find what are looking for. If you liked the food on the Harmony, I did not, you are going to love the Edge food! Great quality!

Edited by ginak1112

Thanks, ginak!  Nice review. Happy to hear that the live music continues to be good and that you had a good time, despite the heat.

A couple of comments in case you go again (also a couple of pet peeves for me initially):

The lower shelves are what the cabin attendant said was for shoes since the closet floor was so small - since there was plenty of other storage space my DH put his shoes there:

image.thumb.png.1e2f48606986fa657321a909577eb191.png

For the phone charging, I switched the phone, which has a USB port on the side, to my side of the bed so that I could charge my phone. The cord is extra long so does easily reach the other side (ran it behind the mattress). My husband had the side of the bed with the plug in and charging options. Thanks to the CC person who let me know about this solution!

image.thumb.png.af7acd4c426c2a5f24d1092a24d0f6de.png

image.thumb.png.ba88e1734631dde21a9d9702a52e9322.png