Cruising from NYC.

plynn

On 7/8/2019 at 3:56 PM, plynn said:

What is it like to cruise from NYC? We are booked on the May 2020 cruise on the Legend out of NYC. What are some of the best Hotels to stay at ? Is it a rough ride from port to the open waters? Is there anything else we might need to know? How about the Legend...have you sailed her before? Thanks for your help!

I agree with the others sailing out of NY is great. Check out my pics. 

9CE6C861-FF8C-4D5C-8786-93AB801FF8E0.jpeg

159E52D6-91C2-4399-A8A7-D3946D050C40.jpeg

09DE6788-5D19-4903-8619-FE67D4D88C72.jpeg

• Like 2

Native New Yorker.  Love sailing from Pier 90 (in fact some days I walk on my lunch hour down to see what is in port and dream of stowing away). 

All three times I have sailed out of New York the seas have been strangely glassy-calm, completely not what you would think.  On my trip down to the Caribbean there was some more movement around the mid-Atlantic states but not bad.

For hotels, the best advice I would give you is to book early.  Especially if you are looking at staying in the midtown area, which is always filled with business travelers.  

If you are staying a few days in Manhattan before the trip, and are considering a Broadway show, I strongly recommend Come From Away.  I'm not affiliated with the show in any way, just a huge theater fan (who also does community theater) and it's the best I've ever seen.

If you have any other city-specific questions I would be happy to answer them.

On 7/8/2019 at 3:56 PM, plynn said:

What is it like to cruise from NYC?

it's so easy! 

We are booked on the May 2020 cruise on the Legend out of NYC. What are some of the best Hotels to stay at ?

My daughter LOVES the Row.  There are literally 1000 choices though, so if you want something funky and fun you will find it (although the Row is funky and fun and right in Times Square).

Is it a rough ride from port to the open waters?

Nope!  More than once we didn't even realize we had left... 

Is there anything else we might need to know?

NYC is a great place to cruise out of, but they seem to REALLY struggle with getting people OFF the ship efficiently.  And I've experienced insane waits on multiple cruise lines which leads me to believe this is a NYC Problem, and not a Carnival Problem.  I would STRONGLY suggest either self-debark, and then you wont be waiting a lifetime and a half to exit, OR just chill out and don't plan on getting to an airport (if that's how you're getting to NYC) until later in the afternoon.  

How about the Legend...have you sailed her before? Thanks for your help!

I haven't been on the Legend, but have been on the Miracle and the Pride, her sisters, and they're great ships!  Smaller, which I think isn't a bad thing, and all around a good time.

On 7/18/2019 at 1:56 PM, Cruzlover7 said:

I agree with the others sailing out of NY is great. Check out my pics. 

9CE6C861-FF8C-4D5C-8786-93AB801FF8E0.jpeg

159E52D6-91C2-4399-A8A7-D3946D050C40.jpeg

09DE6788-5D19-4903-8619-FE67D4D88C72.jpeg

Thank you for posting these!!! I love NYC! We live in VT and visit when we can. Excited to sail to Eastern Caribbean on Radiance next June!