NCL Encore or Carnival Horizon for a 12 yr old

MDgal76

We are currently booked on NCL Encore Jan 2020 this will be my son’s first cruise and my third. Once on carnival and once on NCL. They have removed all of the free kids activities on the Encore. No more ropes course and no climbing wall. Race track, laser tag and VR are all fee based activities. We had planned on doing those anyway but would like some free stuff too! I am considering canceling the Encore and going on the Horizon. RC isn’t an option because of the days we can travel. For those that have sailed both which tween area is better for a 12 year old? The Horizon is a 6 day to ocho ríos, Grand cayman and Cozumel (I’ve been to 2/3) the Encore is a 7 day to San Juan,  St Thomas and Tortola (better itinerary). 

5 minutes ago, MDgal76 said:

We are currently booked on NCL Encore Jan 2020 this will be my son’s first cruise and my third. Once on carnival and once on NCL. They have removed all of the free kids activities on the Encore. No more ropes course and no climbing wall. Race track, laser tag and VR are all fee based activities. We had planned on doing those anyway but would like some free stuff too! I am considering canceling the Encore and going on the Horizon. RC isn’t an option because of the days we can travel. For those that have sailed both which tween area is better for a 12 year old? The Horizon is a 6 day to ocho ríos, Grand cayman and Cozumel (I’ve been to 2/3) the Encore is a 7 day to San Juan,  St Thomas and Tortola (better itinerary). 

I am an older teen, and I'm the closest you will get to the tween age here. NCL Encore hasn't debuted yet, so no one here can offer any information on that. However, if I had to choose between the two, it would be the NCL Encore, hands down. I have been on the Horizon, and have been on the Breakaway (cousin-class ship). Breakaway was amazing, and so was Horizon! Both are tied for my favorite ship, I have sailed on so far! Even though Horizon will have more free amenities, including Skyride, Sky Course, and water slides, NCL has, arguably better water slides, which are also free. Even though your child will be 12, for future consideration, I heard that Entourage, for 13-17-year-olds, will host free laser tag on some nights. Considering that Encore has the better itinerary, I would choose that. 

Thanks for such a good response. I did forget about the slides. I have to admit I’m excited about seeing Encore! It looks like it’s going to be an amazing ship.  

The Horizon is a 6 day to ocho ríos, Grand cayman and Cozumel (I’ve been to 2/3) the Encore is a 7 day to San Juan,  St Thomas and Tortola (better itinerary).

I'd say that to me personally the Horizon has a better itinerary. It's very subjective. NCL has a tendency to arrive in San Juan about 4-5 pm, which leaves you no time for anything ashore.

We have only been on NCL's Jade and Getaway, so while we can't say anything about Encore, I have something to say about the Getaway. We only liked NCL's Getaway because of the FREE ropes course, rock climbing and water slides for our 7 yo. Your child probably outgrew the trampoline by weight (80# limit) by now. Without all these, Getaway would have been way less interesting, and the food sucked big time. We wouldn't go on NCL's ships without all these activities for free.

It arrives in San Juan in the evening and is there until midnight. We have family in PR so they were going to meet us there.

My husband and I were on the Getaway in August without kids, and I hated the lido deck! It was so small! Food is definitely subjective because we loved everything we had. Even the buffet. But like you said with no free options aside from the water slides it just makes me wonder if he’s going to have fun or am I going spend a boat load on the paid activities.

I haven't  heard too much about NCL kids clubs for his age group. But I know many people that love  carnivals.