Has anybody done NCL's "Beautiful Stockholm & Vasa Museum" tour?

MaiTaiMary

Looking for feedback on the "Beautiful Stockholm & Vasa Museum" tour.  Sounds like more time in the bus than we would like, but honestly our priority is the Vasa museum and we will be docked pretty far from the city. So we are looking into this one. Any feedback?  Thank you!

I've not done the tour, but if you are docked in Nynashamn then you will have longer on a bus (or train) than you would like, whatever you do in Stockholm.

As for the tour itself, the Vasa is excellent, and Stockholm is a fantastic city so I'm sure that the rest will be very good.

If you are doing an NCL tour, and its your first time in Stockholm, then it sounds like a good option to me.

We did a Baltic cruise on the Jewel 10 years ago...and in all honesty, I don't recall which tour we took in Stockholm (all I can recall is that it was an NCL excursion).  But I CAN say that the Vasa Museum is a totally DO NOT MISS place.  It was absolutely fascinating...!  We spent several hours there.

We went to the Vasa and Skansen on our own and both were great! We just took the hopon-hopoff boat from the cruise terminal which was great. Went to the museum island first and then to downtown, then back to the ship. Very easy to DIY.

1 minute ago, japlanet said:

We went to the Vasa and Skansen on our own and both were great! We just took the hopon-hopoff boat from the cruise terminal which was great. Went to the museum island first and then to downtown, then back to the ship. Very easy to DIY.

I assume that you docked in Stockholm itself.

Based on the OP's comment about a long time on the bus, and the fact that many NCL itineraries are doing so lately, I assume that they are docking in Nynashamn, which makes DIYing much harder for them.

Just asking about this specific tour. I wasn’t referring to bus time to and from the port. The tour itself. If anybody has been on this tour, I wanted to ask some more in depth questions and some of the things they did. Thanks. 

6 minutes ago, MaiTaiMary said:

Just asking about this specific tour. I wasn’t referring to bus time to and from the port. The tour itself. If anybody has been on this tour, I wanted to ask some more in depth questions and some of the things they did. Thanks. 

So you are saying that there is a lot of time on the bus in Stockholm itself, rather than just getting there from Nynashamn (if that is where you are docking)? If so then I would question the tour as there shouldn’t be too much time on the bus in the city.

Apologies if you think I’m going off topic referring to the docking location, but the poster I quoted suggested DIY, which may be misleading to others reading this post if they are docking in Nynashamn.

We took this tour last year and enjoyed it very much. We docked at Nynashamn and were bussed into Stockholm. Our visit to the Vasa museum was first and we were given plenty of time there. We later headed to old towne for a walking tour with enough time for a bit of shopping and a drink in the square. We thoroughly enjoyed the tour and only wished we could have spent more time in this wonderful city. 

I have done this one. We docked in Nynashamn so there was time on the bus to get from there to Stockholm itself, but the scenery wasn't bad. Once in Stockholm, there wasn't much time on the bus really. We had plenty of time at the Vasa and I really enjoyed that - I would say that is the must see thing there, so make sure you see that even if you don't do this tour. But I enjoyed the tour and would recommend it. I'm an active person, and don't really enjoy coach rides.

8 hours ago, Debbie1029 said:

We took this tour last year and enjoyed it very much. We docked at Nynashamn and were bussed into Stockholm. Our visit to the Vasa museum was first and we were given plenty of time there. We later headed to old towne for a walking tour with enough time for a bit of shopping and a drink in the square. We thoroughly enjoyed the tour and only wished we could have spent more time in this wonderful city. 

Excellent! Thank you for responding.

So the Vasa museum and the town are the only two places you get out of the bus, correct? Is the Vasa Museum on your own, or a guided tour? Do you get off the bus is Gamla Stan or just pass through?  They reference “the old town” twice, but I can’t tell where they are referring to. 

Glad to hear there was time to stop for a drink and shopping. That was going to be my next question. 

thanks so much! 

8 hours ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

I have done this one. We docked in Nynashamn so there was time on the bus to get from there to Stockholm itself, but the scenery wasn't bad. Once in Stockholm, there wasn't much time on the bus really. We had plenty of time at the Vasa and I really enjoyed that - I would say that is the must see thing there, so make sure you see that even if you don't do this tour. But I enjoyed the tour and would recommend it. I'm an active person, and don't really enjoy coach rides.

Thank you! Pretty much the same questions I have above. I’m trying to to figure out if the bus stops in Gamla Stan and we can get out.

also wondering if the Vasa was a guided tour or you do this on your own.

Did you have enough time for shopping and/or to grab a bite to eat?

thanks so much for the help!

3 hours ago, MaiTaiMary said:

Thank you! Pretty much the same questions I have above. I’m trying to to figure out if the bus stops in Gamla Stan and we can get out.

also wondering if the Vasa was a guided tour or you do this on your own.

Did you have enough time for shopping and/or to grab a bite to eat?

thanks so much for the help!

Yes, we got out at Gamla Stan, although we were a last minute diversion to Nynashamn rather than Stockholm itself, so I think we had less time there than usual. You could just about have got a quick snack, but not a full meal. It sounds like some of the others above had longer.

The Vasa did have a guided tour, but I also had plenty of time to wander around and properly enjoy it. You get the best views from the galleries at the top, which are also quieter.