Edinburgh/Royal Mile restaurant

Roo

Hi there,

I'm asking for a group of 4 couples who will walk down the Royal Mile after visiting the Castle.  Would you be able to recommend a few restaurants where we can grab lunch that can handle a group of 8 walking in at once?  Thanks.  

For lunch there'll be room at plenty of the many pubs & restaurants on or just off the Royal Mile - especially in fine weather when there are outside tables. A table of 8 (rather than say 2 x 4) would be trickier, but I'm not sure that it's worth the bother to pre-book for lunchtime just to all sit at one table  - a lot won't accept bookings and in any case it may work out that the location & time of the booking won't suit & would screw-up any fluidity of your day.. 

But dinner for 8 would be a different matter.

JB :classic_smile:

21 hours ago, Roo said:

Hi there,

I'm asking for a group of 4 couples who will walk down the Royal Mile after visiting the Castle.  Would you be able to recommend a few restaurants where we can grab lunch that can handle a group of 8 walking in at once?  Thanks.  

Every time that we have had the pleasure of visiting Edinburgh, we always pop into Deacon Brodies Tavern for lunch on one of our days (sometimes on more than one day) - we love it! Convivial atmosphere, always busy, good food - really cool historic pub (been around since the early 1800s I am told). From the castle, it is a mere 5 minute walk down Lawnmarket. If you go, check-out the ceiling. The ales are also very good.

Fun factoid: the contrast between the public persona of Deacon Brodie (a cabinet maker by trade and respected guild representative) and his hidden darker side (burglar) was supposedly the inspiration for Stevenson's novel, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. On the Royal Mile you can find Brodie's Close where Brodie and his family actually lived.

Alas, the poor chap met his untimely end by hanging.

Yep, really love Deacon Brodies Tavern. 😎

https://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/restaurants/scotlandandnorthernireland/deaconbrodiestavernroyalmileedinburgh

Edited by dogs4fun

I was in Edinburgh last week and we had dinner one night on the Royal Mile in a nice pub called the "Canon's Gait".  It is directly opposite the Canongate Kirk and we thought the food was excellent and well priced.  My grandson inhaled the Bangers and Mash and I enjoyed my Fish and Chips.