$50 Deposits?

stoddaj1

1 hour ago, Doggielover68 said:

It's not always about money being tight. Why give Carnival the money upfront when it could be in your bank account, collecting interest or just being there for an emergency until it's time to pay down the balance? 

I usually have several cruises booked at a time and I would rather have $50 per person tied up than $250 per person per cruise. 

Simply put, I like to keep my money as long as I can. 

Exactly!

I'm sure I am gonna get flamed for this but......The 50 dollar deposit is a marketing scheme that entices many folks who would never cruise due to cost and make it seem affordable.

Wanna know why there is so much complaining about MDR dress code 50 dollar deposit, why so many kids run around on the ship acting the fool with no supervision 50 dollar deposit...walk by staterooms and get knocked down by the smell of weed 50 dollar deposit.

There is of course other valid benefits to the 50 dollar deposit as previously stated....but several posts said it's not about the money and then stated a reason they like it that is money related.......

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Doggielover68 said:

It's not always about money being tight. Why give Carnival the money upfront when it could be in your bank account, collecting interest or just being there for an emergency until it's time to pay down the balance? 

Anytime I can use someone elses money I will.

I found a reduced deposit very handy after receiving a full refund from a previous 'cruise that almost wasn't'. Thanksgiving Pride cruise 2018 with one port of call (not 3 as booked), propulsion issues, bad weather (sailed through storm, not around), and closed outer decks for the majority of cruise. Full refund but you had to pay deposit on new booking before receiving credit. Waited and booked under $50 deposit and the rest was credited. Going to Bermuda in a few days. $50 bucks!

Seriously, I find the cruise I want I will 'hold' that cabin for $50pp. I end up paying the same but it is all about cash flow sometimes in anyone's life.

9 hours ago, midcarolina said:

I'm sure I am gonna get flamed for this but......The 50 dollar deposit is a marketing scheme that entices many folks who would never cruise due to cost and make it seem affordable.

Wanna know why there is so much complaining about MDR dress code 50 dollar deposit, why so many kids run around on the ship acting the fool with no supervision 50 dollar deposit...walk by staterooms and get knocked down by the smell of weed 50 dollar deposit.

There is of course other valid benefits to the 50 dollar deposit as previously stated....but several posts said it's not about the money and then stated a reason they like it that is money related.......

I have already mentioned why I choose to use the $50 deposit promotions.  My wife has a B.S. degree and I have B.A. and M.A. degrees and good jobs, so it has nothing to do with being able to pay up front.  I like to keep my money longer, drawing interest myself and not letting someone else do that for months.

As far as the MDR dress.  While in college, my wife and I had to dress up on a regular basis.  I had to wear a Tux several times a year.  Until recently I had to wear a suit on a regular basis (twice a week on average).  Thankfully that is no longer the case.  When we took our first few cruises we did take dress clothes.  However, it didn't take too many cruises to realize we had no desire to dress up on vacation.  It was also a pain when flying.  We are now platinum and have been on numerous cruises.  We do not take dress clothes when we cruise.  We choose to eat on the Lido most nights (all nights on our last two cruises), not just "Elegant" night.

Carnival has a wide demographic of cruisers and that is not a bad thing.  The reason they have this is because of their overall cost and not simply the deposit.  There are many who have cruised on Carnival a long time and they are the ones that are usually complaining about dress and other things, not the other way around.  If someone doesn't like the demographics on Carnival, there are other cruise lines that cater to them.  However, most still just cruise on Carnival and complain about the ways cruising has changed.  I'm guess that Carnival's low price has something to do with that as well, along with the fact they don't want to lose their "status" by going to another cruise line.