Need Your Advice . . . .

debshomespun

We love cruising. We have been on 8 in the last 3 yrs. (we are in our upper 40's, empty nesters, kids done w/college). We have done 2 all inclusives, 1 in 2004, and 1 in 2005. We do the cruises alone and with family. We do the All inclusive with a group of friends. This year, my DH company has filed for bankruptcy, and we are waiting to see what type of cuts we will have to take. He should keep his job, with possibly a 40 to 50% cut in pay. We will be ok, and can still take a vacation. Not sure when these cuts will take place, soon, or by late summer.

Our delima is our friends. We have a cruise booked on the Freedom for sept, almost paid for. Our friends just planned the all inclusive this summer for Punta Cana, and my DH and myself have no desires to go there. We don't want the friends to get upset with us about not going. They are farmiliar with his job status. The big kicker is that they won't even think of cruising, (one's daughter went on a cruise on Holland am. w/4 24 yr olds in an inside cabin and she didn't like the cruise, gee, I wonder why??), but anyways, we just booked the Caribbean Princess with my DH 3 brothers for April. How do I explain we prefer to cruise w/the family and not go on vacation with them, since we can't afford to do both, and not have them be upset w/us? Any Suggestions??

Thanks so much for all your help!

I certainly can understand your position as I enjoy cruises much more than all inclusives. I think you said it perfectly here on the boards. You just prefer to do cruises vs. the all inclusives. I have made it perfectly clear to all my friends that's the way I like to go. I have even gotten a few of them to cruise with me and now they prefer cruises. Just gotta get a couple more convinced.

Good luck, if they are your friends, they'll understand.

I hope your husband's job works out and you can continue to cruise!!!!

First of all I would explain to them WHY their daughter didn't like cruising, tell them why you DO, and try again to get them to go with you on a much more appropriate line. (24 y/o and on HAL? No wonder she hates cruising! What were they thinking??? :confused: )

If they still won't go on the cruise with you just tell them that you can't afford to do it all, and prefer to spend your vacation dollars on what you really enjoy - cruising... As doone said, if they're your friends they'll understand.

Don't spend money on a vacation you have no desire to take. Vacation time is precious and should be spent on what you love--cruising. We are all different and your friends should understand. If not, do the best you can to explain but don't give in--go on that cruise!!

I have no idea how you can control other peoples feelings and thoughts.

All you can do is tell them exactly what you stated here. There is no reason you have to be attached to your friends on vacation. Go your separate ways and enjoy each others company at a different time.

Just tell them that you already had the cruise paid for before you found out about the bankruptcy situation, so you need to not book anything else until you know for sure what's happening with the job. Sounds like you're going to need some R&R on the cruise anyway with all the other stuff going on. Kellie in Texas

Since your friends have no problem telling you that they don't want to do a cruise, I don't think you should feel bad about telling them you DO prefer a cruise and therefore won't be doing the AI with them this summer.

My exact same thoughts. Be upfront and let them know how you feel.

Good replies here. Different strokes for different folks. Sometimes it's better not to take a trip with good friends if you have different tastes. We would never go with my hubby's best friend and his wife as she tends to get seasick. And he's penny pinching drives my hubby crazy despite my hubby being frugal either. But it hasn't been an issue with our friendship.

Archived