camp ocean night owls and babysitting services

dominicr

does anyone know if carnival offers babysitting services during the evenings for a fee?  the only thing i can find on their website is they offer the night owls program from 10pm to 1am.  we have a 4 year old and a 10 month old.  if i read right the 4 year old can go to the regular kid activities and have fun with others his age there...just didnt know about the 10 month old.  we used to go on alot of cruises but havent in a few years since we started having our kids.  

Night Owls is for 6 months old to 11 years old. Service is available from 10:00 pm until 1:00 am.

$6.75 per hour plus 18% gratuity is the fee. 

See that here: 

https://www.carnival.com/onboard/night-owls

More info about it is here:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3835/~/camp-ocean-night-owls

Edited by silvercrikhix

Basically the 4 year old can go for free when open until 10pm and then its night owls for a fee. 10 month old can't go until 10pm for a fee.  While I've never taken a kid that young there is usually one I see while I'm picking up. The kids area is spit in two rooms with a door between and after hours the kids playing are usually on one side and the other side has a movie and kids laying down.  My kid is usually asleep and that's where I've seen the babies. I've had a great experience all the times my kid has cruised with us.  

Edited by JaxsMama

22 minutes ago, silvercrikhix said:

Night Owls is for 6 months old to 11 years old. Service is available from 10:00 pm until 1:00 am.

$6.75 per hour plus 18% gratuity is the fee. 

See that here: 

https://www.carnival.com/onboard/night-owls

More info about it is here:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3835/~/camp-ocean-night-owls

thank you for the response.  

19 minutes ago, JaxsMama said:

Basically the 4 year old can go for free when open until 10pm and then its night owls for a fee. 10 month old can't go until 10pm for a fee.  While I've never taken a kid that young there is usually one I see while I'm picking up. The kids area is spit in two rooms with a door between and after hours the kids playing are usually on one side and the other side has a movie and kids laying down.  My kid is usually asleep and that's where I've seen the babies. I've had a great experience all the times my kid has cruised with us.  

we took the 4 year old on the ncl hawaii cruise last year and they didnt really have any activities for him.  i see youre doing horizon in may 2020.....thats the cruise we are looking at in the middle of may.  im just trying to figure out if im towing our new born around everywhere or will get a peacful/fun night for my 40th bday.

I don't think Carnival has ever offered babysitting in-cabin for any age group, though I seem to remember it being offered (for a fee) on Royal and possibly Disney.

We've utilized the late-night programs on Carnival, Royal, and NCL before, and the kids seem to either have really enjoyed themselves or fallen asleep.  Either, apparently, is acceptable, and the cost is far, far less than you would spend on a babysitter at home.

We always take our kids to Camp Ocean after dinner. We do stop by the cabin and put our 4 year old in his PJs before we take them. That way, when they put him on a palette (he'll tell you he's tired) we just carry him back to the room and put him to bed. The staff is always great about making him go potty before he goes on the palette. Worked great. 

• 6 months later...

At 12 yrs old, they would be in Circle-C. They have their own room for 12-14 yrs old and do activities past 10pm. This is from a few years ago on the sunshine. My kids are beyond this age, but I would assume they still have a similar program.

image.png.9782853036f76c5d1e2daff34cc752d8.png

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, montREALady said:

Yup, knew that he'd be in Circle-C. I was referring to if hubby and I wanted to do something after 10. I saw that the kids clubs end at 10pm but this schedule shows otherwise! Thanks!

At 12 they have free reign of the ship all the time. FWIW, my 12 year old son was great about being back in the room at 1 (our agreed upon time since that is the time his siblings have in Camp Ocean). He was in and out of Circle C all the time, frequently going to the Lido deck or playing mini golf.  In Camp Ocean you can see your child sign in and out on the Carnival App, but don't know that it applies to Circle C which isn't always staffed.

Make sure he has a phone and that you get messaging so you can talk ($5/pp for entire cruise).  Also make sure he has it set to sound and vibrate, and that he checks it frequently just in case. 

6 minutes ago, Jamesatgsu said:

At 12 they have free reign of the ship all the time. FWIW, my 12 year old son was great about being back in the room at 1 (our agreed upon time since that is the time his siblings have in Camp Ocean). He was in and out of Circle C all the time, frequently going to the Lido deck or playing mini golf.  In Camp Ocean you can see your child sign in and out on the Carnival App, but don't know that it applies to Circle C which isn't always staffed.

Make sure he has a phone and that you get messaging so you can talk ($5/pp for entire cruise).  Also make sure he has it set to sound and vibrate, and that he checks it frequently just in case. 

Man he's all grown up! 😥 Hehe, I guess I'm kind of like "he'll be walking around a ship with 2900 other people he doesn't know", ha! I mean he walks to and from school and other places at home so it should be fine. Just weird seeing free reign but thanks for the tip about the messaging plan because that was another thing I was wondering if we needed, any internet plan at all and whether we should just unplug, get it only on one phone, etc. The other was whether we should get the beverage plan for the kids. Thanks for your response!

33 minutes ago, montREALady said:

Man he's all grown up! 😥 Hehe, I guess I'm kind of like "he'll be walking around a ship with 2900 other people he doesn't know", ha! I mean he walks to and from school and other places at home so it should be fine. Just weird seeing free reign but thanks for the tip about the messaging plan because that was another thing I was wondering if we needed, any internet plan at all and whether we should just unplug, get it only on one phone, etc. The other was whether we should get the beverage plan for the kids. Thanks for your response!

I always get 1 internet plan so we do have that outside connection. Being self-employed I now always have to be connected, but rarely actually use it.  You will need your portfolio number to get him the messaging app because 12 & under are restricted, but once you do you'll be able to message with everyone in your cabin. You can also add people in other cabins, but only adults are searchable in the app. 

My son is outgoing so he always make friends on board, so he's rarely alone. As far as drink package goes, it really depends on how soda hooked your son is (3 per day is the break even). I just load x number of dollars to my son's card and let him use it as he sees fit. 

3 minutes ago, Jamesatgsu said:

I always get 1 internet plan so we do have that outside connection. Being self-employed I now always have to be connected, but rarely actually use it.  You will need your portfolio number to get him the messaging app because 12 & under are restricted, but once you do you'll be able to message with everyone in your cabin. You can also add people in other cabins, but only adults are searchable in the app. 

My son is outgoing so he always make friends on board, so he's rarely alone. As far as drink package goes, it really depends on how soda hooked your son is (3 per day is the break even). I just load x number of dollars to my son's card and let him use it as he sees fit. 

Wait, so we can get one plan and everyone can message each other? Or is the messaging app within the Carnival Hub app on my phone?

My son is outgoing too. I was being dramatic, lol. My kids don't drink even one soda a week typically so maybe I'll do what you do. Only thing is he loses everything...did you mean like a physical Carnival gift card? Because the sign and sail is linked to me, right?

1 minute ago, montREALady said:

Wait, so we can get one plan and everyone can message each other? Or is the messaging app within the Carnival Hub app on my phone?

My son is outgoing too. I was being dramatic, lol. My kids don't drink even one soda a week typically so maybe I'll do what you do. Only thing is he loses everything...did you mean like a physical Carnival gift card? Because the sign and sail is linked to me, right?

The Messaging App in Carnival Hub.  I was just saying that I like to also get an internet plan for just one of us, so we can still connect to the outside world. You can take turns with it, just only one device can connect to the internet at a time, so it isn't useful for onboard communication unless you buy it for everybody and it is too expensive to that, IMO.

I mean a spending limit on his sign and sail card (get a lanyard that connects directly to the hole punched in the card).  It works like an allowance really and you can always add to it at Customer Service later. I usually do $25 out of fear he'll spend it all in the arcade 1st day, which happened the 1st time we cruised with him.

23 minutes ago, Jamesatgsu said:

The Messaging App in Carnival Hub.  I was just saying that I like to also get an internet plan for just one of us, so we can still connect to the outside world. You can take turns with it, just only one device can connect to the internet at a time, so it isn't useful for onboard communication unless you buy it for everybody and it is too expensive to that, IMO.

I mean a spending limit on his sign and sail card (get a lanyard that connects directly to the hole punched in the card).  It works like an allowance really and you can always add to it at Customer Service later. I usually do $25 out of fear he'll spend it all in the arcade 1st day, which happened the 1st time we cruised with him.

Your suggestion is what I'll be doing. Thanks so much!! Things have changed from the last time I cruised 9 yrs ago! I unplugged and hoped my husband and son were okay while I cruised with my Mom, lol!

I didn't realize he could have his own money on his card, thought it would have to be linked to mine since he's a minor. That's a great idea, an allowance. I already had the 2-pack of lanyards in my Carnival account for the kids so that's perfect. I know what that's like! Give this kid $20 and he blows $15 on lunch in one day then looking for more money the next day! I need to take a tally of what's around the ship that costs money and budget that way for him. Forgot about that darned arcade. How does that work, you buy credits? I can do a search but if you want to answer, lol.

6 minutes ago, montREALady said:

Your suggestion is what I'll be doing. Thanks so much!! Things have changed from the last time I cruised 9 yrs ago! I unplugged and hoped my husband and son were okay while I cruised with my Mom, lol!

I didn't realize he could have his own money on his card, thought it would have to be linked to mine since he's a minor. That's a great idea, an allowance. I already had the 2-pack of lanyards in my Carnival account for the kids so that's perfect. I know what that's like! Give this kid $20 and he blows $15 on lunch in one day then looking for more money the next day! I need to take a tally of what's around the ship that costs money and budget that way for him. Forgot about that darned arcade. How does that work, you buy credits? I can do a search but if you want to answer, lol.

You just slide your card through the reader and select 1 turn or 3 turns (which on most games is really 4 but for price of 3). Every ship I've been on has a daily Power Hour where games are half priced. 

I want to say most games are $1 or more per turn, so power hour is definitely the way to go.

I know I mentioned earlier the ability to see sign in/out of camp ocean from the App, you can also use it to view the youth schedules and activity locations. I don't know if that was new or we just never noticed it, but it was great compared to carrying around the paper program which we constantly forgot in the room.

9 minutes ago, Jamesatgsu said:

You just slide your card through the reader and select 1 turn or 3 turns (which on most games is really 4 but for price of 3). Every ship I've been on has a daily Power Hour where games are half priced. 

I want to say most games are $1 or more per turn, so power hour is definitely the way to go.

I know I mentioned earlier the ability to see sign in/out of camp ocean from the App, you can also use it to view the youth schedules and activity locations. I don't know if that was new or we just never noticed it, but it was great compared to carrying around the paper program which we constantly forgot in the room.

Man you've been so helpful! I really appreciate it.