Travel options from Victoria to Southampton cruise port

phoenix_dream

I am so confused by all the options for transport from Victoria to Southampton.  We are staying right across from the Victoria train station and traveling south on a Sunday.  I read somewhere that there are buses, but weight limits on bags are 44 lbs and we will definitely exceed that with cruise luggage, plus I am guessing the bus takes a lot longer?

Is there a direct train from Victoria to Southampton?  If so, does anyone have a link?  Or do I need to catch the train to Waterloo first and head south from there?  So confused, appreciate any help!  thanks in advance

Edited by phoenix_dream

I've answered your Nat Express question on your other thread.

There are direct trains from London Victoria to Southampton six days per week.

But sadly you're travelling on a sunday - no direct service from London Victoria, and no cheap advance tickets for the indirect service via a change at Clapham Junction.  So from Victoria by train it's about £40 pp plus that train change.:classic_sad:

From London Waterloo it's a fast & frequent direct service, 3 trains per hour on sundays, 90 minute journey.

And the option of cheap advance tickets (available from about 6 weeks out) from as little as £9 per person. Only available for some of those trains (but several that would suit a cruise registration time), and the cheap tickets are only good for the train time that you booked - miss that train & your tickets are trash & you'll have to pay the walk up fare (over £40 pp) fare for the next train.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/

(If your visit is more than a month or two out, to see the cheap advance ticket prices check out a random sunday that's about a month from now)

So if you choose to travel by train your best bet is pre-booked tickets from Waterloo.

Plus a 2-mile taxi ride (? £15 ?) from your hotel - with luggage, even on a sunday you wouldn't want to do that hop from Victoria to Waterloo on the Tube (metro)

Bear in mind that there's no help with your luggage at the station, altho it's no more than one small step from platform to train.

In Southampton there are taxi ranks at both rail & coach stations, and no cruise terminal will cost more than a £10 fare.

JB :classic_smile:

• 2 months later...

I would recommend taking the National Express from Victoria Coach Station. We did this 2 years back when sailing from Southampton. It was on a Sunday in November and it was a perfect journey. It was a little slow going through Chelsea due to traffic, but after that it was straight forward. Also there was free WIFI onboard. We are doing it again this year in November, but we are giving ourselves an extra hour for the journey because it is a Tuesday and there will probably be more traffic.