Gastronomic Scotland Cruise

After hearing so many wonderful things about Hebridean Island Cruises over the years, including from Knotheadusc, we signed up for a cruise some time ago that will be departing in two months.  We chose the Gastronomic Scotland Cruise because we were attracted by the opportunity to sample some of the best local food and whisky, in addition to seeing the marvelous scenery. 

My wife is from England, and she has always wanted to see more of Scotland, and particularly this part of it. We did a circumnavigation of the UK with Seabourn about 6 years ago that called at a few ports in Scotland, but we are expecting this to be much more in depth. 

The cruise is 7-days from September 24 to October 1. Any idea what we should expect for weather? Any tips or advice?

Thanks.

PS- by mistake,  I also posted this under another thread by Knotheadusc. I will monitor both for replies. Thanks. 

Oops...  I just replied to your other comment.  We went to Scotland in September 2017 and had good weather.  The only issue was Hurricane Irma’s effect on the sea, which forced the captain to change the itinerary.

Layers!  I suppose that you may be more constrained with your itinerary due to dining at restaurants on shore. In general, the ship will change itinerary to find the best weather. We have done a couple of footloose cruises and one around the Firth of Clyde and in all of those weather has altered the schedule. In all cases the captain has made the decision based on ensuring the comfort of the passengers and maximising opportunities for activities. This of course may not be possible with limitations caused by third party catering. 

Im certain you will love the experience. 

Thanks Knotheadusc and Ranchi. 

As suggested, we are planning on layers of clothing so we can deal with any eventuality - sun, rain, wind, cold, etc. Still wondering whether I should bring my tux for one evening, or just my blue suit where I can also use the jacket as a blazer. Any advice?

Thanks. 

I don't think anyone will say anything to you if you don't bring your tux.  However, people do dress up for the gala nights.  You'll see people in kilts and tuxes.  My husband wore his dress blues on our previous cruises because he didn't own a tux or a kilt.  When we take our next cruise in a couple of weeks, he will wear a kilt because he had one made when we were in Scotland last time.  I can hardly wait.  😄 

On our first cruise with Hebridean in 2012, there was another American couple and the husband just wore a plain suit on the formal night (it was a five night cruise-- we did two of them in a row).  Bear in mind that most of the other cruisers are coming from the UK and it's easier for them to bring the fancy duds, as they're often driving or taking the train to the port.  I'm sure people will understand that your journey is a lot longer.  

8 hours ago, commodoredave said:

Your hubby looks good in his kilt. How long does it take to make one?

It took about three months.  He had it custom made, and they had to order the tartan for County Donegal (he’s more of an Irishman than a Scot).  We had it shipped to us in Germany.

• 1 month later...

So here we are a week away from flying to Scotland and two weeks from the start of our cruise. Hurricane Gabrielle looks to be heading to Scotland later this week, and British Airways, with whom we are scheduled to fly, begins rotating strikes tomorrow. It seems the universe is lining up against us! DW is worried, so I just gave her a good 12-year single malt. Now the universe is looking better!!

7 hours ago, commodoredave said:

So here we are a week away from flying to Scotland and two weeks from the start of our cruise. Hurricane Gabrielle looks to be heading to Scotland later this week, and British Airways, with whom we are scheduled to fly, begins rotating strikes tomorrow. It seems the universe is lining up against us! DW is worried, so I just gave her a good 12-year single malt. Now the universe is looking better!!

Sigh... I remember two years ago, it was Hurricane Irma.  The captain did take good care of us, though, and rearranged our itinerary so that we would be safe and comfortable.  It resulted in a bit more time on the coach and some last minute changes of plans, but it was all good in the end.

Try not to worry.  You're going to have a great time!  And soon you and your wife can enjoy all the gin and whiskies you want!

• Like 1

DW does not need any more encouragement when it comes to enjoying gin -- she is a martini lover, as am I! 

We're hoping that the storm and strike issues won't impact us, and that everything will be smooth sailing (excuse the pun). 

We have both been trying to lose weight in advance of experiencing some very fine onboard cuisine, but so far I've gained a pound!! This last week I will have to get more serious about it. 

We were aboard last year when storm Ali headed across. We stayed a night in Oban but we hardly missed anything. They alter itineraries to maximise passenger comfort and what was scheduled for Tuesday may happen on Thursday if it’s better that way. Everything is so relaxed...and yes, the sea food is excellent. 

• Like 1

Gail's brother came up from London to visit Edinburgh with us, so the studio apt was great for breakfast and pre-dinner cocktails. 

Spent the last 3 days in Oban which has some very good seafood restaurants. Went to Fort William and Glencoe one day, and then to two nearby castles. Board the ship this afternoon!!!

More details on everything in due course. 

• 2 weeks later...