Skagway - Train, bus, tours ?????

luvocean9

First of all, I have never been to Alaska. I am trying to decide what combination of the White Pass Scenic Railway tours I want to take. I'm pretty sure that we would like the train ride. Along with that there are several options that have been bundled with the railway in various tours. These options include combinations of the following:

1. Boarding bus in Fraser for some sights on the Yukon Hwy and returning to Skagway via bus (motor coach): i.e., Tormented Valley and Pitch Fork Falls
  2. Klondike Gold Dredge and gold panning with lunch at the Skagway Inn
  3. Liarsville Gold Rush Trail Camp with a show , gold panning, and BBQ.
  4. Tour Red Onion Saloon with a beer/wine and bit of a show upstairs.

Any comments or opinions on these options would be appreciated. I know I could rent a car, but I do not want to drive! I could always just do the train round-trip and forget all of these options! What do you think?

We also wanted to see Skagway and the Yukon but didn't want to drive. We took the Yukon Discovery Tour by Frontier Excursions. They go as far as Emerald Lake, making many stops along the way for photos. We also stopped at Caribou Crossing for lunch and to play with the sled dog puppies. The guide was very knowledgeable and gave us lots of information about the area and the history of the Gold Rush. The scenery was absolutely incredible. They pick you up right at the pier and either bring you back to the pier or drop you off in town for shopping. I highly recommend this tour. Their website is http://www.frontierexcursions.com.

Thanks for the tips and links.

I think both of these use small busses. I called Chilkoot and they use a 23 passenger bus sort of the isze you get on at the airport to take you to your rental car. I saw a picture in the Frontier Excursion brochure that was a small bus.

Chilkkot has a 7 hour excursion, half rail and half bus that goes into the Yukon and Emerald Lake. This would leave precious little time to do anything else in Skagway.

Will we miss out on other fun things that might be in town if we spend our whole day touring? Or will we miss out on more if we do not go all the way to Emerald Lake in the Yukon?

Chilkkot has a 7 hour excursion, half rail and half bus that goes into the Yukon and Emerald Lake. This would leave precious little time to do anything else in Skagway.

Will we miss out on other fun things that might be in town if we spend our whole day touring? Or will we miss out on more if we do not go all the way to Emerald Lake in the Yukon?

Yes :) I think most people enjoy touring out of Skagway, but I find the city just fascinating. :) You will enjoy the tour of the Yukon and White Pass. Alaska is never a one time trip. :)

Archived