Dog Sledding Cancelled

K_e_short

3 hours ago, K_e_short said:

No worries at all.

I hope others read my tale of woe and know if it's a bucket list item to go early.

Even so, going early in the season is no guarantee of a successful tour. Weather conditions in Alaska, and specifically Juneau, change rapidly. I've been to Juneau 4 times ... only once was I able to do a Helicopter tour with a landing and sled dogs (that was in June 2014.) On that particular day, the weather was dicey. Our sled ride was cut short due to sleet ... we had to get back before weather worsened and the chopper couldn't take off. Coastal was our tour operator (not thru cruise line) and they were a very classy operation.

This year, it appears the conditions are too warm on the glacier and safety of the camp is concerning. I'm so sorry you weren't able to complete the bucket list tour ... it stinks. Hoping you have a fantastic Alaska experience all the same.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I booked dog sledding through RCL for our mid-August cruise. Now I'm wondering what our chances are of actually getting to do this? Hm. Anyone have any recommendations for a backup excursion? I hope if they cancel they are able to give notice.