There is much discussion regarding the reduction of single-use plastic by cruise lines. I would like to ask when Celebrity Cruises will follow the lead of other cruise lines to eliminate the use of balloons on on all Celebrity ships. Latex balloons are a significant environmental danger. They are often released by passengers from open decks and balconies where they contribute to the pollution of our oceans. 

In addition, there are also many passengers with a life threatening allergy to latex. A  balloon drop in the atrium, enjoyed by a few passengers, can result in hours or days of medical attention needed to overcome the health impact of latex particles floating in the air, on furniture, carpets and curtains. No amount of cleaning by the staff can eliminate the latex particles after a few hundred balloons have been bounced around and broken for a few minutes of “fun”. The air on the ship is circulated and so are the latex particles.

I hope Celebrity Cruises will consider both the environmental impact and the health and safety of the passengers and eliminate the use of balloons on all Celebrity ships immediately.

X has already started eliminating single use plastic items. On board the Edge, water, which previously came in plastic bottles, is now in metal cans or glass bottles.

Also, on the Edge inaugural when I asked about acquiring some balloons, I was told that there were none onboard.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!
We are very focused on drastically reducing single-use plastics on-board each of our ships. To that end, the use of balloons is very limited with restrictions on how and where they can be used.

Thank you and have a great rest of your day!