Ever Gotten Sick on a Cruise?

suznf

Have you ever gotten ill while on a cruise?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever gotten ill while on a cruise?

• No. I have cruised without getting ill.
    • Yes. A cold.
    • Yes. Gastro-intestinal type of illness (stomach "flu", "montazumas revenge", food poisoning)
    • Yes. Lets just call it the flu (fever, chills, aches, etcs)
    • Yes. An upper repiratory infection (coughing, congested)
    • Yes. Other.
    • Yes, but it didn't interfere with my activities
    • Yes, it interfered with a few of my activities
    • Yes, it interfered with my entire trip!

I think the cruise lines do a great job cleaning. It's the airlines that I worry about. When was the last time they cleaned the arm rest? That little pouch in front of you that holds the magazine? Oh yes, the magazine that's been handled by everybody who's sat down. I'm sure that the COLD air isn't too clean either.

Another thought to ponder; Our immune system relies on nutrition and rest. Typically, when traveling we get tired, stressed and just worn out then we're exposed to various illnesses. BAM . . we're sick too.

IMO, if I get sick, it's not from the ship.

I got food poisoning on my third cruise. I was fine until the day I got home...spend over 12 hours throwing up every 15 minutes and landed in the hospital for 3 days.

I've never experienced other problems on the ship.

I think the cruise lines do a great job cleaning. It's the airlines that I worry about. When was the last time they cleaned the arm rest? That little pouch in front of you that holds the magazine? Oh yes, the magazine that's been handled by everybody who's sat down. I'm sure that the COLD air isn't too clean either.

IMO, if I get sick, it's not from the ship.

On my last flight the last time they cleaned my tray table was evidently prior to somebody either spilling something or more likely throwing up all over it. It was disgusting and I promptly folded it back up... and threw away the things I'd just set on it, then made my very first visit to an airplane bathroom ... to scrub my hands. ewwwwwwww

Thank goodness I've been fortunate so far. A good friend of ours had a kindey stone on our last cruise! Ouch! my DH gave her a remedy he had previously read about in Kevin Tredeau's book and it worked. Lemon juice mixed with olive oil. Yuck but it worked!

After my cruise on the Zuiderdam in '03 I became very sick after I returned home. Spent a week in the hospital and missed 2 months of work. The diagnosis was West Nile, my DH and Dr. were both afraid I would not survive. I still have a few lingering problems, but nothing that held me back from cruising again.

Bev

I usually do not get sick on a cruise. Although, once when I cruised around the Mexican Riveria, I got a cold because it was freezing outside. Ever since then I have went to the Caribbean/Florida. I fly on an airplane too and it doesn't really effect me. Although, if you have a cold on an airplane, your ears can pop really bad going down. I haven't got a cold in the last 10 years of cruising. So, overall I have been fine.

Archived