Embark at Amsterdam and Debark in Civiitavecchia

tommui987

In embarking in Amsterdam and debarking  in Civitavecchia, is it difficult using a rollator or should I ask for a wheelchair?

In essence, are the gangplanks (or whatever they are called) those endless zigzaging or straight forward with (comparatively) slight angles?

Thanks! 

First of all, I am not familiar with a rollator. Both Ruth and I used scooters.

I do not remember the gang planks in Amsterdam, only that it was a breeze for Ruth and I to get on and off. We did not embark there, only visited.

Civitavecchia is easy. Not positive about current info. When we disembarked there, we had to obtain our transportation or take the train. If you check under “Europe Disabled Cruising” (separate thread at the start of this thread), there is some more recent info as to what is available.

The last time we disembarked in Civitavecchia, we took the port shuttle to the exit and scooted to the train station. Took the train to a town south of Rome, saw the sights and then back on the train to the airport for late night departure. At that time, there was not any train directly to the airport. On a prior trip, I contacted a shuttle service for transportation to the airport. For that trip, we found others on the roll call that shared the shuttle with us.

I do not recall any problems getting on and off the ship at either location. 

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

• 2 weeks later...

In Amsterdam, You will have an elevator to the area of embarkation and it is a pretty straight run on to the ship from there.i did it last year with my rollator both ways 4 x onour overnight.. In Civitavecchia, the gangway is long and in some parts steep. My husband was able to roll the rollator with our carry- on bags down, but I had to hang on to the handrails with my scooter.

you can always wait for assistance from staff but get to the location early as there is always a delay as they don’t have enough wheelchairs.