Live From Radiance

Wow, where to begin?  We left Thursday from Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver and had a few stops along the way.  When we saw Mount Rainier from the plane window coming into Seattle, that's when I knew something really special was happening...

361041878_C8PawYSwSV2aAPwxQIc7g.thumb.jpg.dbee8501d8c2fb2bf38373b6b078abdc.jpg

Thursday was a long travel day, so we did not venture far from the hotel.  We stayed at the Century Plaza.  It was adequate, but if one is staying more than one night, I recommend staying at the Sheraton.  The restaurant in our hotel gave us a substantial discount, because we were staying there, however.  Friday morning, we ate breakfast at Joe's Grill.  It was small, super busy, and the service was excellent.  I waited tables in college...The guy working there was phenomenal handling a crowd!

fullsizeoutput_9a0.thumb.jpeg.4bc2522e04c96e46307c02b606ec185d.jpeg

Embarkation was simple.  The terminal in Vancouver is very pretty, but they do make you go up to go down to go round.  That was slightly annoying, but we immediately saw seals from the ship.  Drama over!  LOL

And the skyline leaving is pretty and we passed under a bridge.

fullsizeoutput_99a.thumb.jpeg.3f093da8f0b91298ba16bd7ae7162231.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9a7.thumb.jpeg.3aa9353be0a9f9e0d48b1233af63fadf.jpeg

Trying to catch up to "Live", so forgive the brief descriptions.  Radiance is an older ship and isn't as sparkly as she may have been.  That said, Alaska is the real destination; not the ship.  And Radiance is still very beautiful.  If we spend our time looking for rust, then we'll miss the phenomenal scenery we are blessed to witness.  And Friday started off with a bang in the Inside Passage!  WOW!

fullsizeoutput_99c.thumb.jpeg.680ea3528894337c3997b4ba27682589.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_99f.thumb.jpeg.a811b80f31996f7fff04ef1a67cdc708.jpeg

Saturday was spent in the Inside Passage headed North.  Having a Sea Day allowed us to explore the ship more.  The Kummelwick from Park Cafe was disappointing.  I've had several each day and the meat has been fatty and tough.  Sad, because I enjoyed these on other ships very much.  The Boardwalk Dog House has been good.  And we have been enjoying breakfast and dinner in the Main Dining Room.  Gluten-free pizza is available to order in the Windjammer.  My husband has food allergies, so the buffet is pretty much out of the question.  The Dining Room, however, is excellent taking care of him.  

15 hours ago, Bee Guy said:

Interested in info on the Radiance.   In 6 weeks we will be in Vancouver to board her and head for Hawaii.  This will be our first time on the Radiance.

The ship is beautiful.  It is showing its age and we see they have rolls of new carpet ready to go.  The WiFi is terribly slow.  The crew have been excellent and very attentive.  Can smell septic issues here and there.  We are not doing specialty dining this time out, except for Giovanni's our last night.  So far, I would say the food has been OK to Good.  Entertainment has been OK.  We have been spoiled with bigger ships, but so far we are enjoying Radiance.  Again, the itinerary was the destination for us; not the ship.

Everyone should come and experience Alaska.  We live by the Caribbean and take for granted how beautiful it is.  But Alaska defies description.  And as busy as these ports are with ships (Ketchikan had 5 and I counted 7 here in Juneau), Radiance has held the premier berth in each port.  We have found the locals to be very warm and genuine.  And fellow cruisers have been very laidback as well.

fullsizeoutput_9d7.thumb.jpeg.f5a8c641153f1dd2f688a45b67ad4808.jpeg

Loved our Alaskan B2B on Radiance and have just booked her for a South Pacific Christmas cruise next year.  Happy to see the Dog House is still there, didn't appear on the website as a food option so thought they'd removed it. 

Your pics are gorgeous! 

• Like 1

The WiFi on the ship was so frustrating that I decided to stop adding here until the cruise and land tour after were over.  Sadly, we are now home, but I wanted to continue for those interested in Radiance and Alaska.  This was perhaps the best vacation I ever had.  I cannot recommend Alaska enough.  It defies description.

Landing on a glacier by helicopter was a cruise highlight, but Skagway offers other things to do that I want to mention.  Most take the White Pass Railroad through the wilderness.  Everyone we spoke to about only had the best things to say.  Skagway itself is an adorable and walkable town.

fullsizeoutput_a15.thumb.jpeg.8b49ef148ac4fbb62db823918958e75a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a22.thumb.jpeg.e83ba5747e74795d01b0b2a81294b51f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a1f.thumb.jpeg.367b1f6704cfccb9ff93dc9e7fbe6a8c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a09.thumb.jpeg.53e4c5bde20463140116b5bd1be7fb42.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a0c.thumb.jpeg.9997fbfbf7934b5ad9939ae2136e65f9.jpeg