Meteor Showers

alleghator

The Perseid meteor shower will peak while we are cruising. It will be the night following our first full sea day, so we should be well away from the light glare of land. 

Is there anywhere on deck that is dark enough for star gazing?

I don't know on what ship you'll be, but I would generally suggest forward, as near the Bridge as possible.  If there is a public deck at the bow just below the Bridge, it will be dark.  Otherwise, go up as high and as forward as you are permitted.  Happy shooting star gazing!  Enjoy the view!

• Like 1

It looks like from you signature that you'll be on the Pride.  In that case, I would recommend all the way forward on Lido deck (Deck 9), if it is not closed off (which it sometimes is).  Also, all the way forward Deck 10, or the Forward Sports Deck (Deck 11), fore of the Mini Golf.  Good luck!

Edited by ShakyBeef
spelling typo
  • Like 1

This would be awesome on a cruise (if you get to see them). My problem when I view the meteor showers is, they always peak around 2 - 3am and I can't force myself to stay up that long. The most I've ever seen was 15 in an hour, that was before midnight. I've tried to stargaze on a cruise, but could never find a dark enough spot. I never thought to try those forward decks at night. I'll have to keep that in mind.

• Like 2

Carnival always has those lights on the string rigging on open decks turned on, but the suggestions to be above the bridge is a good one.

Used to be one cruise line that offered nighttime stargazing from a darkened deck area, complete with a telescope or two and a guide - perhaps Holland or Celebrity?  Wish Carnival had at least one darkened open deck area for special cosmic events.  Maybe the OP can email a request to his sailings CD?

• Like 1