Important Note about Topher at Jacks Shack

Uncle Deane

Jack and Janet, the owners of Jacks Shack have posted this on FB. I think it is important that everyone who plans to visit there is aware of their request:

Janet and I are concerned about Topher. He has lots of arthritis. Lots of tourists see the videos of him jumping after sand thrown in the air. We find that after playing on the beach, his arthritis is worse. We would like our guests to stop throwing sand to see how high he jumps. We think this is effecting his joints and sore shoulders and causing him pain. Topher is no longer a puppy. He is almost 12 years old. He loves the beach and playing with our guests. We have limited his time on the beach in the hot sun lately. Every morning he is eager to come to the shack but after four hours or so he gets very tired. Please respect Topher’s age. We hope to have him for many more years
Jack and Janet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We love that dog and have held him several times while he rests between fishing in the water over his head 🙂

I have seen the videos and always thought throwing sand was cruel to the dog regardless of age.  That's what dog toys are for.

We will be headed to Jack's Shack again as soon as we get off the Breeze in a few weeks and happy to see we are the only schedule ship in GT that day.  I'll be delivering a ten pound box of Milk bones to the owners.  We are looking forward to meeting his new buddy Calypso new since our last visit.

Happy Cruising and thanks for posting this request.

We were there a month ago and didn't care for the throwing of the sand either.  I hope Jack and Janet post their concerns at Jack's Shack since there are people who don't read CC or FB.  He's such a great dog!