Ruins to Climb???

spangnash

We will be cruising in Feb 2020 with 3 young, VERY energetic boys... ages 5, 6, and 8.  (Did I mention they are VERY energetic?)  Our first port stop is in Grand Cayman, where we will likely spend the day at the beach; our second stop is Costa Maya, our third stop is Cozumel (where we will likely spend the day at Playa Mia).  Rather than having 3 beach days in a row, I think my boys would *love* to have the opportunity to actually CLIMB some ruins.  I was checking out Chacchoben, but it looks like we can only climb a few steps.  Are there other ruins we can reach during a port stop that they could actually climb?  Thank you!  (Again... Did I mention they are VERY energetic?) 

If you are stopping in Belize, you can climb the ruins there.  I think Mexico limits the ability to climb some if not all temple ruins.  But the Dzibanche ruins tour through Native Choice in Costa Maya allows climbing on temples. 

You might also take a look at their Maya experience tour it includes a variety of things that will help keep the youngsters busy.

https://thenativechoice.com/

In order to get to the ruins in Costa Maya you have to go on a tour. The bus ride is an hour each way and your boys would need to sit quietly because the guide talks about the local history and culture on the ride. The actual tour of the ruins is 2-3 hours long with stops at the difference structures with more talks of 10-15 minutes at each structure. You really need to consider the other people on the tour and weather your energetic boys will be an annoyance and disrupt their tour. We have done a tour with Native Choice where we were able to climb to the top of one of the temples but I wouldn't want to see small boys climb that high. The reason the ruins are roped off is that they are dangerous.

You might want to take an island tour of Cozemul. They have smaller ruins I think the boys could climb on and a much shorter time at the ruins. The tour would also stop on the west side of Cozemul where there are blow holes and a natural bridge that I think they would really enjoy climbing over. It is really quite beautiful on the west side. The tours then usually include a stop at the beach on the way back. Most cab drivers at the port would be happy to take you on a tour and you will have control of how long you spend at each place. You could also prearrange a tour with a known tour guide.

Edited by Eileen G

Eileen G is right on Costa Maya and visiting Chacchoben.  You can climb a lot of things there but with the hour long drive to and from AND that you have three munchkins to look after, that's not your best choice right now.  That will be a good choice when they're 10-12+ and you trust them more (there's a lot of sheer drop offs and steep steps).  Beautiful and highly recommend it... but not when you have 3 small monkeys to make sure all come home in one piece.

I would have said Chankanaab in Cozumel would be a good option, as there's plenty of fun stuff to do there, including a replica Mayan village/ruins area that they could play with and not hurt much, but if you're doing Playa Mia...

There's always Maya Lost Mayan Kingdom water park in Costa Maya that has water slides and zip lining, all in a sort-of Mayan themed park.

Another alternative might be to take a private tour thru a company like Native Choice. 

I too have an energetic 6 yr old, and I think a bus tour for where he has to sit still for an hour while listening to information is asking for trouble.  I have not contacted Native Choice about this, but I have read only good reports about them, so I am planning to contact them to find out if they can give us a kid-friendly tour.  I figure if our son can climb on the ruins,  there are a lot of open spaces where he can run.  A guide should be able to find an area where boys can run around, just like boys ran around 1000 years ago.

Edited by mconthehighseas