Japan SGG guides

SetAnOpenCourse

We will soon be visiting Japan for the first time and have applied to some of the goodwill guide groups.     Can anyone advise on the range of what this typically costs?  Just a ballpark figure would be fine - I know it depends on the sights we choose and the transportation.  I’m a little worried that, considering the fact that we cover all expenses of the guide, that it might be as expensive as our ship’s excursions.

8 hours ago, SetAnOpenCourse said:

We will soon be visiting Japan for the first time and have applied to some of the goodwill guide groups.     Can anyone advise on the range of what this typically costs?  Just a ballpark figure would be fine - I know it depends on the sights we choose and the transportation.  I’m a little worried that, considering the fact that we cover all expenses of the guide, that it might be as expensive as our ship’s excursions.

The guides are free. Usually trains and subways are used for transportation - the cost is minimal and not even worth mentioning within the range of a few $. Depending on where you go to eat, lunch can be 10 - 30 $ .

We didn't have a great experience with a Goodwill guide. She met us at Osaka port and took us to Kyoto for the day. We didn't understand a word she said. Her English was terrible. She was very nice, so we didn't want to hurt her feelings and leave her. She was free but, we paid for her round trip bullet train ticket from her home to the Osaka port, the bullet train round trip Osaka-Kyoto, all local transportation, admissions, lunch plus I brought a gift from home. It was a few years ago so I don't remember what it cost, but she wasn't worth much.  She wasn't very knowledgeable and didn't take us to many sights. Just our experience.