Getting around solo supplements?

ohnonotmeagain

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I can't find it..... Can I book and pay for a 2 person cabin and only me turn up for the cruise. There must be legitimate reasons for failure to turn up for a cruise, how would cruise line deal with this scenario? Some deals for 2work out cheaper than paying the solo supplement.

1 hour ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I can't find it..... Can I book and pay for a 2 person cabin and only me turn up for the cruise. There must be legitimate reasons for failure to turn up for a cruise, how would cruise line deal with this scenario? Some deals for 2work out cheaper than paying the solo supplement.

Here's the Solo Cruisers forum page.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/279-solo-cruisers/

It has been recommended as a strategy - at times.  A year or so ago, people were mentioning that if they cancelled the second person they were recharged at a higher rate, and a Brit said his partner had a legitimate reason to not turn up with him and they charged him the solo rate too(it was some promo short weekend trip from UK; if that matters) -----but these weren't regular posters and it might be an urban legend.  I don't read this method being a tried and true sure thing any longer.  Or the fact that some consider it fraud, they just don't publish it on a forum board.  Me, I could never pull it off as preboarding requires names and passports and I didn't want to pull family or friends down into the mire.

To be honest, I have only once seen a 'sale' price that was based on double occupancy where the solo price was not considered and was then more than sailing for 2. I don't consider booking the promo 'plus 5 freebies' type prices as they are crazy up priced and the freebies aren't worth it for me. But I do look at pricing after final payment dates, accept a guarantee cabin, or pay a price that I am comfortable with regardless of % of SS.

Edited by mef_57
  • Thanks 1

I considered MSC because of the low base price, and even if booking at 200%, it was cheaper than other lines.  20 nights Dubai to Venice ocean view is $2042 for 2 people, $1380 for one so less than 50% mark up.  Given that it is also under $70 per night (which is a great way to consider your cruise, btw) it's hard to beat.