Viking or AMA river cruise with 18 year old? And drinking in Europe?

courtneyMC

I see that Viking is 18 and up to sail with them.  Has anyone taken an 18/19 year old on a Viking cruise, and what was your experience?   How about AMA? My mom, daughter, and I are looking at a river cruise and Viking has the itinerary that best meets our needs.  AMA has one possible trip.  I know she won’t have other people her age to hang out with but that’s fine.

on another note, does anyone know AMA’s drinking age? I didn’t see it posted on their website.

Does Viking enforce the 21+ policy even at dinner for a glass of wine while in Europe?  Other lines let 18 year olds drink if it’s a non-US based itinerary.  I know it’s trivial but she was looking forward to being legal on a European itinerary. 

Thanks!

Viking told my 16 yr old granddaughter that 18 was the age in France. Took a 3 generations river cruise Paris to Normandy with HS age granddaughters ages just 14 & 16.  They absolutely loved it. There were other teens and early college age kids on the cruise before us and on our cruise.  All the young people enjoyed themselves. I guess we were the last folks who had already booked before the age 18 minimum announced August 2018.   If your 18 yr old likes to read, likes history and doesn't mind likely being alone without peers, she should be good to go!

IMG_6637.jpeg

IMG_6719.jpg

IMG_6831.jpg

Thanks for the in depth thoughts.  She is pretty happy with a book and never does teen clubs on bigger ships.  On a previous European trip on Princess we were all so tired it didn’t matter if anything was going on onboard in the evenings, we skipped it.

On 8/7/2019 at 3:09 AM, courtneyMC said:

Does Viking enforce the 21+ policy even at dinner for a glass of wine while in Europe?

Viking isn't a US company, so why should they enforce US laws outside USA?

They' follow the laws of the country they are cruising in, just as they'll have to enforce the US 21 drinking law when they finally start US river cruises.

Tell your 18 y.o. to rejoice! They are an adult in Europe and if they want a drink no-one will bat an eye.

• Like 2