Spiriting around the British Isles with Walking Difficulties

Thank you for your lovely detailed review.

If and when you have time, we would really appreciate a run down on how the Spirit is now. We sailed on her Xmas 2013 and we are booked on her in March 2020.

(I believe she is undergoing a dry dock in Feb 2020. Anything you may have heard about that would be wonderful to know).

Thanks in advance.

Edited by SteveH2508

11 hours ago, Sauer-kraut said:

Lovely review.  Sorry you missed Angelsey, my 2nd cousin had his wedding there at Beau Maris.  We spent a week there and had fun. 
I hope 6+ has a great convalescence and you have more wonderful trip reports to share.  Thank You

thank you

I'm sure Anglesey is lovely

unfortunately Holyhead stuck off on its own island just North isn't very attractive! 

11 hours ago, SteveH2508 said:

If and when you have time, we would really appreciate a run down on how the Spirit is now. We sailed on her Xmas 2013 and we are booked on her in March 2020.

(I believe she is undergoing a dry dock in Feb 2020. Anything you may have heard about that would be wonderful to know).

Thanks in advance.

hi

I heard several differing opinions from passengers on how they found Spirit

some issues with engine noise in the cabin I cant see how they could do much in a dry dock

we found our cabin clean and pretty well maintained.

A couple of cracked tiles in bathroom but not too bad and I actually like the seashell patterns on them so would be shame if were replaced with plain ones.

To be honest even the crew didn't have much idea what would be done in dry dock.

lots of conjecture that blue lagoon should go as effectively a through corridor not ideal as eating place

Champagne Charlies overlooking the atrium is the usual location for O Sheehans on other ships where can get food as well as drinks so logically that would be a likely change.

you will have to review the ship in March and let us know what you  think.

The one thing I do hope they can fix is the efficiency of the toilet flush systems

not to put too fine a point on it but you get the picture!

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:13 PM, SteveH2508 said:

Thanks in advance.

this is from a friend who has just got off Spirit

he usually knows who to ask and below sounds reasonable

We just got off the Spirit, and there are a few rumours around about what will be happening when it goes into dry dock in January. I thought I would quickly summarise what I have found out.

Firstly, it is openly being stated that they are adding a couple of Teppanyaki tables, to take it up to three. I believe they will be using the room at the back of Shogun. On one occasion when we were told this, they said they were adding 3 tables, but I think this was a misunderstanding.

The other changes will apparently be significant, but the senior officer we were talking to wouldn’t tell us anything specific and said that things can still change.

There is a lot of speculation that Champagne Charlie’s will be turned into an o’Sheehans type place, which makes sense due to its location. I didn’t hear anything to confirm this, and I assume the shops on that level would need to be moved. It is my guess (and I have no confirmation) that something like this will happen.

There were quite a few people onboard in ports who were walking around the ship with what looked like plans. I’d have loved to have seen what was on those plans. Two specific places we saw them were Raffles Terrace and Blue Lagoon/Shanghai.

I think that it is agreed by many that something needs doing with Blue Lagoon, and if they add an o’Sheehans then it isn’t necessary. I suspect that the whole block containing Blue Lagoon, Shanghai, Henry’s Pub and maybe Le Bistro and the arcade will be stripped out and started again from scratch. The presence of people looking around the area suggests that this may be correct.

Finally, we were told by a staff member about plans for Raffles Terrace. I have no idea if this is correct (and he wasn’t necessarily someone who you would expect to know detailed plans), but he said that the kids pool was going and a big screen being added to create a Spice H2O type area. Also they will be building back from the buffet, at least on one side, to create a better La Trattoria (or other restaurant), rather than it being part of the buffet. Whilst the source of this may not be that reliable, I think it all sounds likely.

9 minutes ago, fabnfortysomething said:

this is from a friend who has just got off Spirit

he usually knows who to ask and below sounds reasonable

We just got off the Spirit, and there are a few rumours around about what will be happening when it goes into dry dock in January. I thought I would quickly summarise what I have found out.

Firstly, it is openly being stated that they are adding a couple of Teppanyaki tables, to take it up to three. I believe they will be using the room at the back of Shogun. On one occasion when we were told this, they said they were adding 3 tables, but I think this was a misunderstanding.

The other changes will apparently be significant, but the senior officer we were talking to wouldn’t tell us anything specific and said that things can still change.

There is a lot of speculation that Champagne Charlie’s will be turned into an o’Sheehans type place, which makes sense due to its location. I didn’t hear anything to confirm this, and I assume the shops on that level would need to be moved. It is my guess (and I have no confirmation) that something like this will happen.

There were quite a few people onboard in ports who were walking around the ship with what looked like plans. I’d have loved to have seen what was on those plans. Two specific places we saw them were Raffles Terrace and Blue Lagoon/Shanghai.

I think that it is agreed by many that something needs doing with Blue Lagoon, and if they add an o’Sheehans then it isn’t necessary. I suspect that the whole block containing Blue Lagoon, Shanghai, Henry’s Pub and maybe Le Bistro and the arcade will be stripped out and started again from scratch. The presence of people looking around the area suggests that this may be correct.

Finally, we were told by a staff member about plans for Raffles Terrace. I have no idea if this is correct (and he wasn’t necessarily someone who you would expect to know detailed plans), but he said that the kids pool was going and a big screen being added to create a Spice H2O type area. Also they will be building back from the buffet, at least on one side, to create a better La Trattoria (or other restaurant), rather than it being part of the buffet. Whilst the source of this may not be that reliable, I think it all sounds likely.

Thank you for this. I shall certainly report back after our South Africa to Singapore trip next March (though I'm sure someone will beat me to it re the changes).