Canada Cruise in October

Jeffrey1950

Hello:

I did the Canada cruise in June and found it to be a little chilly at first but could still lay out on deck. Now I am considering the Quebec to New York one in October. My questions are as follows:  If Cunard books the Air Travel to Quebec for me which Airlines do they use, what kind of fare, what are the seats like ( having slapped om several pounds ) I am concerned if an economy seat is a bad idea and lastly flying from New Jersey the same day as departure would I have ample time to get to the ship or would I need to fly in the day before and lastly what is the weather usually like at that time of year ?  Looking forward to reading your replies.

We did this cruise in 2015.  It was lovely! Very chilly as we left Quebec but still had a wonderful time.  The colors were beautiful as fall was in full swing!  

We have not used Complete air but never arrive the day of embarkation. We always go in a day early. Way too stressful to not do so.

enjoy!

I can't answer all your questions as I have never booked a flight through Cunard. Economy air is never a good idea unless Business Class is horribly expensive. If we must fly economy (and only on a fairly short flight)  we usually fly Porter. Like all airlines they have cut back amenities and leg-room but they still offer a glass of wine or beer and have 2+2 seating with 32-inch pitch. Unfortunately it is not pactical to take them from EWR to Québec (YQB) as there are no direct flights so they route you through Toronto.

I would never fly into any city for a same-day departure. But flying into Québec the same day as boarding is not a problem because, as you know, the QM2 departs the following day about 5:00 p.m.  Both times I have taken the Québec - New York voyage several dozen passengers boarded on the actual departure date.

The weather was comfortable both times we took this voyage. I can't stand the heat, so my tolerance for cooler weather may be different than others. The autumn colours should be beautiful, but you will be far from shore for much of the trip. The Saguenay fjord is gorgeous, but most of it will be travelled in the dark especially northbound. There should be a few hours of daylight departing the city of Saguenay.

There were some heavy seas and strong winds on both of our trips. The outside decks were closed for a full day. One time this was the day prior to reaching Halifax and the second time it was a full day between Halifax and N.Y.  That time it was the edge of a hurricane that we had to pass through. Cruise ships stayed an extra night in Halifax and New York but the QM2, being a liner, just ploughed through. After all, we were continuing on to Southampton so a delay would be impractical.  But I wouldn't hesitate to do this trip again. We hope to do it again in two years.

3 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

I can't answer all your questions as I have never booked a flight through Cunard. Economy air is never a good idea unless Business Class is horribly expensive. If we must fly economy (and only on a fairly short flight)  we usually fly Porter. Like all airlines they have cut back amenities and leg-room but they still offer a glass of wine or beer and have 2+2 seating with 32-inch pitch. Unfortunately it is not pactical to take them from EWR to Québec (YQB) as there are no direct flights so they route you through Toronto.

the only airline that I'm aware of flying between EWR and YQB is United Express, so business class isn't even an option.

However that being said, it's a non-stop flight and not too long...90 minutes or less as I recall.