Train Ticket Prices Shot Up from Southampton

National Express https://book.nationalexpress.com/coach/#/choose-journey

(not the same as Megabus) are offering

direct Southampton to Oxford Sunday 25th August 8.35am arrives 10.50am (2hrs 15 mins)

For just £5.80 for two people !!!!!

Southampton coach station is a five or ten minute taxi ride  (depending on your cruise terminal), if you disembark unassisted (about 7am) there'll be no lines at the cruise terminal or for taxis lined-up outside & you'll comfortably make that coach.

Destination is Oxford Bus Station, Gloucester Green, Oxford.

JB :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by John Bull

On Saturday June 29, 2019 we finished our cruise (Sapphire Princess) at the QE2 terminal. We self disembarked with our luggage at 7.00am and got in a taxi and were at the National Express coach station at 7.15am. The fare was GBP8.00. Our 8.35am bus to Birmingham via Oxford arrived at the coach station at 8.25am and the driver loaded our luggage under the coach according to where you were getting off. We left on the dot of 8.35am and had a comfortable, scenic and leisurely trip through the countryside. The driver then unloaded our luggage at our destination. I can recommend the National Express coach for you to get to Oxford as our trip was easy and inexpensive. 😊

Edited by PurpleTraveller

Just bumping this thread to the top (yes, I know it's against CC rules) in case the OP hasn't noticed my reply re coach travel to Oxford.

The fare for the 08.35 am direct coach has gone up to £6.25 but still a bargain & there's still availability

JB :classic_smile:

This is now showing on the CrossCountry website (the TOC for the rail service):

Advice for rail users affected by RMT action: Sunday 25 August

Due to industrial action by the RMT Union we will be running a significantly reduced service on many routes on Sunday 25 August.

Customers looking to travel between Yorkshire, the North East and Scotland are strongly advised to avoid travelling on Sunday. We will do all we can to keep customers informed and updated, so please check this page regularly for the latest information.

🎩 tip to DaveKent who originally diagnosed this as the issue. 

If I were the OP, I think I’d be looking at the coach (bus) service. 

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

thanks for that Cotswold Eagle. I am planning next years cruise hence looking on this site but our next holiday involves a multi leg train trip planned around the West Country later this month hence checking on both Great Western and Cross Country trains.

There is now a revised  timetable on the official Cross Country rail site for the 25th. Two through trains are tentatively scheduled to run through Southampton towards Oxford and onto the Midlands that Sunday one at 10:15 and the next at 16:20. They must have some conviction they will run, how busy they will be is probably a mystery, some people will use these rather than other trains but possibly more will not travel or use other means of transport and crowding may well not be an issue- price remains at £36.50 single. No idea what I would do but almost certainly it would be the wrong choice!

• 2 weeks later...