What to do in the evening?

bababouy

Any ideas? Our ship arrives at 1pm and shoves-off at 11 pm. This will be June so days are long. We want some beach time but can we shop in the evening? Are the shops open? What else can we do? The tours obviously all start in am.

Any ideas? Our ship arrives at 1pm and shoves-off at 11 pm. This will be June so days are long. We want some beach time but can we shop in the evening? Are the shops open? What else can we do? The tours obviously all start in am.

Days are not as long as you would think. Becasue St. Thomas is so far south the lenght of the daylight time doesn't vary as much as it does in the States. About 13 hours. Sunrise May 15th is 5:45 a.m. Sunset is 6:45 p.m.

Hello bababouy,

Most shops downtown close around 5pm. Those in Havensight close between 5-6pm and sometimes will stay open until 7pm if ships are in port late and there are shoppers.

You can check what time the sun sets the day you are visiting at: http://www.sunrisesunset.com/custom_srss_calendar.asp choose Virgin Islands from the location menu.

You can go to a happy hour at one of the local bars, perhaps out for dinner.

--Islander

http://www.*****

I"d go up to Paradise Point for Sunset and watch all the other ships sail away from up there, we did this when we were on the Glory our ship sailed at 8PM I think so we got to sit there watch the sun set and the other ships move out it was beautiful! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Since June is "off season," the Havensight stores probably won't be open late. Town will definitely close at 5.

Your best bet would be to go to St John for beach/shopping. The stores in St John's Cruz Bay are usually open later (some until 9). The stores in American Yacht Harbor near the East End ferry dock to St John should also be open late. That'll give you plenty of time to get back to the ship.

The Skyride isn't open late every night.

However, you could go to Bluebeard's Hotel in town at night, and see the gorgeouos night view and do some minimal shopping in their gift shop.

In regards to doing shopping at St. John----I thought the latest ferry back to Red Hook was at 3:45??? Is there a later ferry that takes you back to St. Thomas? We also are going to be there from 1:00 until 11:00, but I decided against going to St. John due to the limited time we would have before we would have to catch the last 3:45 ferry back. If there is another one, that might change my plans drastically, as I would like to see Truck Bay in St. John...:D

The St John ferry runs to Red Hook, St Thomas every hour on the hour until 11:00 P.M. From Red Hook ferry terminal there are always taxis which will return you to the ship. Leave enough time-Havensight aout 30 minutes, Crown Bay about an hour. The ferry trip itself is about 20 minutes. I would take the 9:00 P. M. if you leave at 11:00.

B.

Since June is "off season," the Havensight stores probably won't be open late. Town will definitely close at 5.

I have to assume that this information is true for July as well? We arrive at 1:00 PM on a Monday on Explorer of the Seas. It would be a shame to get there and then have nothing open for a long period of time. This means that we have to either excursion or shop, but not both.

Hello hac82,

5pm is pretty much the closing time for downtown Charlotte Amalie all year round. Havensight also closes around 5-6pm but the stores in Havensight will sometimes stay open until 7pm or thereabouts if there are ships at the Havensight dock late.

--Islander

http://www.*****

The St John ferry runs to Red Hook' date=' St Thomas every hour on the hour until 11:00 P.M. From Red Hook ferry terminal there are always taxis which will return you to the ship. Leave enough time-Havensight aout 30 minutes, Crown Bay about an hour. The ferry trip itself is about 20 minutes. I would take the 9:00 P. M. if you leave at 11:00.

B.[/quote']

As posted elsewhere, on yor way back you can either follow the tourists to the cabs ($10 per person) or walk 20 feet with the locals to the buses for $2 per person!

Archived