Lombardia Terminal Venice

TYinPalmSprings

There are recent articles concerning the possible change in the ports for arriving ships in Venice away from the canal to Fusina and Lombardia. Both ports are said to be on the mainland, and about three miles from the island. I have found Fusina but cannot find the location of Lombardia. Is anyone aware of this port? it's specific location on the mainland? and it's current facilities for cruise ships?

10 minutes ago, Compass Rose Monica said:

Check out the few links on this site:  https://cruising.org/news-and-research/press-room/2019/june/venice-press-kit

There is one map of a suggested re-routing of the ships.

Monica

While CLIA supports using the Vittorio Emanuele channel routing, with ships still ultimately docking at Marittima, they are an industry group and there is far from a clear consensus that this is the way things will go. It is only one of several proposed solutions, and as I understand it, it may be less favored as ships still have to transit the lagoon. Various environmental groups and other independent experts have expressed reservations about this plan.  Which of course could not be implemented for several years due to the need to re-dredge the canal.....to the benefit of the cruise lines continuing "as is" in the meantime.

• Like 2

Thank you both for responding. This gives me a better understanding of the situation and the relevance of the locations being tossed around. The map really clarifies the existing and recommended paths. I anticipate that it will be a while before they find an agreeable solution. I'm sure no one wants to see this delicate island impacted by further catastrophes.