Renting a Tux on the ship

jamestown9guy

If you rent on board, the rental is for the entire cruise. If renting is the way to go, see what the cost of the rental would be vs. renting it at home. If it's about the same, the benefit to renting on board is that the tuxedo will be delivered to your stateroom and you just return it on board vs. if you rent at home you have to pick up the tuxedo, pack it, take everything with you, then take it home and then back to where you rented it.

Keith

Is it a good idea and how expensive is it to rent a tux on board? I will be on the Carnival Victory and it has two dress up nights. Would the rental be for the entire cruise? Or are there much better options?

It is about $100.00 per cruise, with two shirts and shoes. I don 't see Carnival listed as participating in the program.

http://www.cruiselineformal.com/

Better option is go to your local tux shop and purchase a used, rental tux. Best option is Ebay. Quite a few people on CC have purchased from THETUXXMAN and been VERY satisfied. Larry has everything you need for formal night. Prices are VERY reasonable. As cheap as a rental on the ship and generally cheaper than a rental at your local tux store. He also sells VERY expensive, designer tuxedos, which he has used in his rental line, at very reasonable prices.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZthetuxxmanQQhtZ-1QQfrppZ50QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1QQrdZ0?

:) :)

Thank you so much for the help...you would think that this would be an easy problem to solve..and I figured I might be the only person who would be trying to figure it out...but you people really got me going in the right direction...That e-bay site is great...I guess the next thing I need to do is get some professional measurements from my local Tux rental shop. I still can't decide if I want to rent or buy....sure tempting to buy at those prices...not sure how much space it would take up.

Thanks again!!

For our first 3 cruises, DH rented from cruiselineformal.com and was completely satisfied each time. He's built fairly wide and not too tall, and wasn't sure if the tux would fit, but made certain he had his measurements taken at a tux shop in our city. Not a problem any of the times we rented, but DH finally decided he wanted his own tux, so he went out and bought one. Our experiences showed that it was a lot less expensive to rent onboard than to rent locally, as we'd be charged 2 weeks rental if we went over 7 days (we always fly in the night before and often don't get home until late night the day of disembarkation). Either way you're going to look smashing!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

If you decide to buy I do not recommend ordering it on line. Each tuxedo fits differently and I would highly recommend that you go to a local place to buy the tuxedo. As one poster suggested you could try to puchase one at a tuxedo rental store.

There are many other options as well. If you have K&G clothiers in your area they sell very reasonably priced tuxedos. Other options include Nordstrom's Rack, Joseph Banks and even JC Penney. The latter two just buy it when it's on sale.

Just like purchasing a suit, there are differences in styles, manufacturer's etc. so I would definitely look at local places. And if you would wear it on just two or three occassions in lieu of renting it two or three times you begin to come out ahead each subsequent time you wear it.

Keith

My husband owns a Tux but rented for our long Med. Cruise since we had weight restrictions on luggage. FYI, it costs extra to rent shoes. But the convenience for this type of cruise was worth it. Everything was delivered to our cabin the first day and picked up the last evening. Included two shirts, studs, etc. Need to bring your own socks. And you can always bring an extra shirt, cummerbund and vest if you want to switch around for multiple formal nights (we had 3). For a 7 night with one formal night, he'd probably pack his own if we have room in the luggage.

Archived