Accessible shore excursions QE Northern Lights 081019

efcmark777

Has anyone been on this cunard cruise itinerary who uses a powerchair or manual wheelchair and can help with some advice as we have been shocked to find that there is not a single accessible shore excursion on the entire cruise. Cunard tell us that they do, however, find “private” tours for those needing accessible transport. We have submitted the list of tours we’d like to do but frankly await the quotes with trepidation as we do not think the costs will be manageable or frankly have much trust in the private tour thing. We have always been warned off these, not just because the costs are horribly inflated over the “standard” tours, but because if there’s an issue with 50 passengers on a Cunard tour coach the ship usually waits, not so a private accessible mini bus or rear ramp taxi !!

Ironically this cruise has NO tender ports, so we are able to disembark at Alseund, Tromso, Narvik and Stavanger. Has anyone done this and used the accessible buses to get into the towns and how did you find wandering around them ? Also, has anyone tried these private tours Cunard say they can arrange in any of those ports ? 

The real issue for us has has been that there was a mix up with our standard access and med form as used on five QM2 trips and with P&O. So tho we have as you’d expect booked an accessible cabin Cunard hadn’t recognised that i’m a powerchair user. That’s sorted but hers the rub. This trip is all about the Northern Lights. We understand that nature dictates whether passengers on one of two “In search of the Northern Lights” tours actually see them, but as things stand there’s a chance we cannot get an accessible, safe, official, tour even too the Northern Lights element of the cruise which for us makes it a waste of a trip as that was the entire reason for booking this cruise, obvs!!

Can anyone wade in with any experience and advice ? You’ve already spent time reading all this which is appreciated !

Cheers, Mark

Yes Mark, we have only been to a couple of the stops on a Spring cruise and on a different cruise line. I fully agree with you in regards to the cost of “accessible” tours. They are outrageous, thus Ruth and I did many things on our own.

First of all, I have great news for Alseund, the HoHo bus is accessible https://city-sightseeing.com/en/66/alesund. They have space for one scooter. Actually, they have space for two small scooters, but attempt to keep one for strollers. We mainly wanted to get to the top of the mountain, which you should also see. However, before it, the “out-door museum” is very interesting. We did not take the entire trip. Got off at Alseund Church and scooted back (sight-seeing on the way) to the cruise terminal. You can board the bus at the edge of the cruise terminal parking lot.

In Stavanger, we arrived on the day of their Independence, which they celebrate. Regardless, before the major activities, we managed to see some of the interesting points on our own. The locals were in appropriate costume and very impressive. Look at your map on Google. The ship docks on the west side of the inlet, not far from “Stavanger tourist Information”. We wandered to the cathedral in the park just south of the inlet and then up to the park on the east side of the inlet. There is an accessible path down to the water on the west side of the park, but it was a little difficult to find. Wandered around the shops in that area and then headed back toward the center of events. Their Independence day is May 17. If would been a regular day, we would have wandered around the town more. But with all the festivities and costumes, we were very happy. If you have concerns about distance, use Google's “direction” finder and it will give you distances.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Pictures are all from Alseund  - The Ho Ho bus was a birthday present to her from me.

ruth birthday card pg 2.jpg

ruth birthday card pg 3.jpg

ruth birthday card pg 4.jpg

HI, I am a part-time powerchair user and completely understand your problem. I'm lucky though in that I am able to get into a bus and my chair folds to go into the trunk of a bus. I know that things would be much more difficult otherwise!

Old Stavanger is very steep and cobbled, not great for wheelchairs/scooters. However, there is a wide, flat path along the inlet that goes as far as the oil museum (much more interesting than it sounds!) and the new town is much more accessible.

As for the 'In search of the Northern Lights' tour, we spent a disappointing evening looking up at a cloudy sky. We did get a good show that we saw from the ship the next night, and again on our way back down the coast the night after that.

• 2 years later...

We did this cruise in November 2019, my husband uses a mobility scooter and doesn't walk at all these days. Alesund was just a short walk to the town so no need for any transport there. At Tromso they had an accessible bus so we were able to drive the scooter straight onto that and we went into the town. It had snowed a few days before and there were piles of snow and ice everywhere. Some of the pavements were quite tricky and he did a few wheel spins but I managed to push him out. Narvik, another accessible bus and the driver who picked us up back to the ship was lovely and gave us a quick tour up the mountain to show us the views with all the lights. Stavanger, ship docks right in the town but there was a difficult gangway with raised ridges and impossible to get the scooter up or down but the crew were great and transferred him into a wheelchair and pushed him and carried up the scooter. 

We didn't go on any tours but went out on deck where they had an astronomy expert and they were serving hot drinks etc. It was a great atmosphere and we got to see the Northern Lights on the second night and they were brilliant. We also saw a meteor burning up across the sky which was quite spectacular. I think people who went on the excursions that night were happy  but the one the following night apparently was very disappointing and they were driving from place to place trying to find the lights. It's just pot luck I suppose, nothing guaranteed. I was happy that we stayed on board and saw them.  We could also keep popping back into the Lido for tea, coffee and snacks, and to warm up! 

We had a great time and it was one of our favourite cruises and we will definitely go again in the future. Just bear in mind that it may be difficult to get about in the towns due to snow and ice although they do their best to clear the pavements. Some heaps of snow are down the kerbs so not always easy to cross the road. People will always come to your rescue if you get stuck! Also it does get very dark very early.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of doing this itinerary.