Teen Program Supervision on FOS

We'll have our 13 and 15 year old granddaughters on FOS in April, 2020.  We don't know if they'll want to take part in any of the teen programs since it's a fairly port intensive cruise.  But recently we've read some disturbing reviews regarding lack of supervision for those programs.  Anyone have any recent experiences that could relieve our concerns or warn us off?

5 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

We'll have our 13 and 15 year old granddaughters on FOS in April, 2020.  We don't know if they'll want to take part in any of the teen programs since it's a fairly port intensive cruise.  But recently we've read some disturbing reviews regarding lack of supervision for those programs.  Anyone have any recent experiences that could relieve our concerns or warn us off?

To be frank-

The teens are free to com and go as they please- so if they want to get up something that a staff member may not allow all they need to do is go somewhere where the staff wont be able to stop them-

Like their or somebody else's room.

It is very different than the kid program.  They will host at least one activity a night, i.e. Flowrider night, Rockwall night, capture the flag, etc but most of the program centers around the kids coming into the Teen area, getting to know each other, and then walking around the ship together.  Just set expectations with your granddaughters and they should be fine.  Pick a meeting place, a way to get in touch, a curfew, etc.

Just please keep in mind that you are on a ship with thousands of strangers. Just because folks are on vacation does not make it a safe environment. We have done many many cuises with our daughter and we have all had loads of fun BUT you cannot give children that age independence on a ship and assume they will be safe. There are all of the same crimes as there are in cities. 

We haven't used the teen club on FOS, but on Allure, the 12-17 year olds were basically in the same area except for a few scheduled activities that were aged based.  There were kids of all types in there.

By that I mean, the kids who were polite, well mannered and there were those who dropped F bombs like the word "the."  The kids just gathered and did pretty much what they wanted and hung out in different areas of the ship.  

A lot depends upon your granddaughters as to whether or not they enjoy the kids there.  I've seen kids just hang out near the elevators and every time the doors opened, they jumped up.  I have no idea why, but it didn't seem to bother anyone.

My granddaughter met some nice kids and kind of hung out with them at the pool during the day etc.  She is more on the quiet, reserved side and had a good time with the friends she made.

My son and his wife did set some rules for her such as no going to someone's cabin for any reason or having someone come to yours.  Their rules were just common sense and she was fine with them.

I do believe most parents know their kids well and if they will follow the rules and if they can be trusted to do so.  Just keep in mind, it's like having a teen roam a small city. 

As a mom of 2 late teens whose kids have cruised just about every year since they were 10, imo saying the ships are like cities is not at all the reality and presents a much darker and scary understanding for people who have not cruised.

It is like letting kids roam around a large resort or your local town.  Everyone on board has an id and is accountable in some way—in that way, even more regulated than a resort.  There are few places that are secluded and out of the way—no city parks or back side streets.  Almost all public areas are grouped together.  It is very public and you’d have to go out of your way to find secluded spots.

General common sense guidelines are fine...absolutely no one else allowed in your room and you are not allowed in others rooms.  For the younger teens, no hanging out on outside walkways by the railings.  Limit walking down guest room hallways.

They all congregate in the same spots—Can something happen, yes.  But it is not like letting a kid loose in the middle of a city.

• Like 2