Booked NCL Escape on Tuesday, rates dropped $1200 on Thursday

lovetoofli

Bottom line, you have to take the entire cost of the cruise less the OBC, the perks, etc to do an apples-to-apples comparison.  I understand that some really like Carnival, or Royal, or MSC, or Celebrity, etc.

I tend to keep my options open, although I admit, NCL has been getting my cruise dollars recently because of the service, ships, food, deals, etc.

For the Haven, whenever I see a fare of $2,000/pp, I'm very interested.  The one I booked did have that fare.  With OBS, Drinks, Specialty Dining, internet, etc included, I find it hard to dismiss, especially given I like NCL.

If you don't, I understand.  Sail which line you like, what ships you like, time you like.  But, to say you can't get good deals on NCL is false.  I find them all the time, which is one of the reasons I've sailed them so much recently.

15 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

@DaCruiseBug

Yes...all inclusive for two, sailing 9/1 on the Breakaway (which was just refurbished).  It was available when I booked last week.  Got all the goodies.  Plus, got nearly $700 in OBC which I could not get if I had booked any MSC cruise (who doesn't participate in the AMEX promos).  Got internet, SDP, Drink Package, $50 excursion credit/port, free laundry (Platinum Latitude perk), etc.

Just looked at MSC (I always do as I've sailed YC before).  Didn't see anything remotely close to a Haven (Yacht Club) type suite on the Armonia, which was the only ship sailing out of Miami for MSC close to that time.

Cheapest Yacht Club Balcony Suite I saw was for a 9/28 sailing on Seaside for $4,500.  Including drinks, but only 1 Specialty Dining credit (I got 5 with my Haven booking....3 for the included perk, and 2 for being Platinum Latitudes).

I have sailed both and while I enjoyed the Yacht Club, I would choose the Haven over the Yacht Club unless the YC was discounted significantly.

While you can't get $700 OBC with MSC you can get about $350 in cash back (10%) by using one of the referral sites plus prepaid gratuities thru that same TA. The drink package on NCL is also much more limited than on MSC unless you pay to upgrade to the Premium Plus package. It also doesn't include any items in the minibar and you don't get access to the thermal suite ($400 value). Not sure where you're looking at but there's plenty of under $4,000 deals on the YC and you don't have to wait until a couple weeks out to book it either. The Armonia doesn't have YC, that's why you didn't find it there...it's like the Dawn/Jade etc don't have the Haven.

Overall YC beats Haven hands down, that's the feedback from 80-90% of people that experience both. Especially when it comes to the individual service you receive in the YC and the amount of space and amenities in the YC compared to the Haven.

You're obviously set on the Haven and that's why you're trying to justify it and that's ok. To each their own but the YC is at the very least equal to the Haven from a quality/quantity perspective and in every single case i've looked at also much cheaper. In some cases $3,000+ cheaper then the Haven.

1 hour ago, lovetoofli said:

Still haven’t heard back from NCL, Says they handle claims in the order received. I bet they have plenty. I think you’re right, accepting the $300 OBC excludes me. Either that or it was actually 49 hours or something else. Seems like the general offer is 25% of the difference in OBCs. (Or an upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite).

Usually we book nearly a year in advance. This was a last moment decision to book the only ship sailing out of NYC on our actual anniversary (no airfare needed)also in a dream cabin, aft penthouse. We saw that there were plenty of these H6 cabins left. Probably should have waited them out, but given our specific requirements we had to book. Can’t wait!!

You filed.well after the cut off which is 48 hours.  Strictly enforced via time of submission.   You already got your compensation when you accepted $300.  You would not get both if you’d filed on time.     You were lucky to get anything.     

@DaCruiseBug.....sounds

like you like MSC.  So do I.

If you like sailing them.....do it!

I’ve sailed both.  Before I sail, I look at Carnival, Royal, Celebrity, MSC.  I’ve sailed all

of them.

I choose the best value on the date I want to sail.

I choose NCL for my upcoming and the last few cruises I’ve booked.

Not trying to sway you (or anyone else) to change.  Just sharing my real world experiences.