Muster Drill Times?

Lesliealbert

I am trying to plan an informal Meet & Greet on our Maasdam cruise, Sept. 26th, for our sailaway out of Sydney.  We leave Sydney at 7pm.  Someone at HAL told me the muster drill would be around 6pm since that is the time everyone has to be on board.  I called ship services and they got in touch with the staff captain and emailed me that the muster drill will be at 4pm.  Totally confused now as to when to plan it.  Has anyone else had at late sailaway the first day and remember what time muster drill was?

Hmm, when I've semi-organized a rollcall sail-away gathering, I've always just specified grouping at a certain spot on the Lido deck, after muster. Never been on a ship with such a gap in times. I guess you will have to choose between meeting after muster (you don't have to know the time, just whenever it finishes), or meeting AT Sailaway (whenever that is scheduled).

I would go with after muster. It seems like people could still be at dinner for actual sailaway. Whereas after muster everyone is released at once and will be looking for a drink! 

Looking at the Maasdam deckplans I would pick Lido pool deck, port side, forward of the Canaletto -- there are more tables there. Wear Mardi-gras style party beads and bring a few 2x4 Avery labels and a Sharpie marker for people to put their CC name/real name on.

5 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Hmm, when I've semi-organized a rollcall sail-away gathering, I've always just specified grouping at a certain spot on the Lido deck, after muster. Never been on a ship with such a gap in times. I guess you will have to choose between meeting after muster (you don't have to know the time, just whenever it finishes), or meeting AT Sailaway (whenever that is scheduled).

I would go with after muster. It seems like people could still be at dinner for actual sailaway. Whereas after muster everyone is released at once and will be looking for a drink! 

Looking at the Maasdam deckplans I would pick Lido pool deck, port side, forward of the Canaletto -- there are more tables there. Wear Mardi-gras style party beads and bring a few 2x4 Avery labels and a Sharpie marker for people to put their CC name/real name on.

I've used these ideas too when I've been in charge of the M & G/sail-away etc.  Don't be surprised if few people show up.  I stopped planning sail-away get-togethers for CC members because generally only 1 or 2 people would show up.  Many later said they were at dinner or dressing for dinner.  

If people show up, all of you can enjoy meeting each other and anticipating a fabulous cruise.  What better way to begin your adventures.

We’ve actually had good turnouts at our sail a ways when we do them.  Those are different than a meet and greet IMO.

But, my meet and greets have never been on embarkation day.  I know your next day is a port day so you don’t have a lot of options.  Another option to consider is the Crow’s Nest.  It’s not as nice as it once was but it should be quieter than the sail a way party on the Lido.

Another thought on your time might be 9:30?  By then most are done dinner and the show the first night is nothing special.  The afternoon is hectic for some arriving and unpacking and for some, getting to know their way around.

Whatever you decide, I wish you good luck with your M & G and commend you for doing it.

No, I never did a M & G on embarkation day either.  Just too hectic for everyone.  First sea day is a good idea, around 10:30 a.m.  Ship services has always helped, but I haven't been in charge of a M & G for several years.  Does ship services still help?  I have no idea, nor do I want to find out.  Just too stressful for me because I am a perfectionist.  I sent invitations, sometimes delivering them to each cabin of the attendees (placed in their "tree mail slot"), buying nametags, meeting with the food and beverage coordinator, and sending thank-you notes to each officer who attended or made it possible.  I enjoy attending a M & G occasionally, but I don't want to be in charge anymore.  Thanks to all who do.  We appreciate you.

• Like 1

The muster drill can never be at 6:00 pm.   It would totally foul up the early seating dinners and also right in the middle of the most popular time in anytime dining.   Hundreds of passengers would be missing their dinners, and going to Anytime and the Lido.   HAL will always schedule it before dinner hours.  Even later in the evening, for a 11:00 PM sailaway,  with a muster drill at 9:00 pm, you would still impact late seating diners, and the Main Stage show times.

Thanks veryone.  Looks like there is really no right answer for this scenario.  It is not a formal M&G, just for whoever wants to show up.  Can't do it the next day as we are in a new port.  Will get a concenus from everyone as to what time works for them and go with the majority.  There are only about 16 people so not a big deal.  Very quiet roll call.