How do I connect my Laptop to the TV

lnew1gd1

Hello everyone,

I have a question that I am sure someone here will be able to answer.

We are sailing in 14 days on the Miracle, 2/12/2006 .

We want to take our laptop with us to be able to download our pictures as we go......keep the memory card empty and view our pictures and DVDs on the TV screen.

Does anyone know if we can hook the laptop up to the TV to view the pictures on a larger screen? :confused: If so, what type of cables do we need. I think the TVs on the Miracle have audio/video in and out connectors on the front but do we need a special cable from the laptop to TV or can we use the same type you connect video games to TVs with??

Sorry for the dumb question but this is one area of technology that I am not quite up to par on.

I did do a search to see if this was posted anywhere but I must be doing something wrong. No matter what I search for I come up with a blank screen.....any suggestions here to find what I am searching for?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Unless your laptop has a TV out compatible signal, some have some don't, though if your laptop has DVD player, it may have the capability. Only you can figure it since you are the one with the laptop in your posession - in other words if you can't get it to work at home, you won't get it to work on the ship.

The TVs on the ships have a single video in and a single audio in - RCA jacks. You will need a cable that connects your laptop to the TV - again, you will need to figure it out, but it will probably be an RCA video cable.

Also not to be a wet blanket, but I am not sure I would bring mine on the ship - it won'tfit in the safe - I am sure 999/1000 are safe, but I would hate to be the ONE! Extra memory cards are cheap!

Thanks for the info. Our laptop is very new and does have the capability of playing on a TV screen. Just haven't ever used that feature. We really don't need to hook up to a TV to download our digital pictures, the laptop has built in memory card slots. Just thought it would be nice to see them on a bigger screen.

I thought about not being able to lock up the laptop and not taking it is still an option. Reason we want to take it is because on our last cruise in September our very expensive NEW digital camera was stolen in the airport. Needless to say....the memory card was in it and had over 260 pics that we lost. We did have an additional memory card but it doesn't do much good if the card is in the camera and it goes missing!

We were still using the camera so taking the card out for safety was not an option and who would have thought that going thru security in the airport there would be a chance that the camera would be "lifted" during the check.

Much less chance of having the laptop go missing than another camera. It's quite big to sneak out of the x-ray machine without us seeing!!! We will hand carry it, not pack it in the suitcase.

Appreciate your help and comments...trying to figure out a way to make sure we don't ever have a repeat loss of pictures.

Do you know if the photo shop on the Miracle is capable of printing/downloading from passengers digital cameras? I know it's possible on some of the newer RCCL and Princess ships.

I would never take my laptop just for transferring pictures... sadly I have to take it to keep up with the office. I have 4 memory cards... They each have different capacities, but I put pictures on each one through the week just in case something happens to one of the cards. Memory cards are cheap... just pick up a few and leave the laptop at home.

Ok - this is how neurotic I am! I am bringing my laptop so I can download my pics each night! I also have a 1 gig jump drive so after I download pics to the computer, I will also be saving a copy on my jump drive which will not be kept with my laptop or camera (in case one or the other gets stolen!) Top THAT! Am I a total nut job or what???? ;)

Truthfully, I wouldn't even consider not bringing my laptop because at the end of the day I really enjoy looking over my pictures! I also take video with my camera (which eats up a lot of megs even on a 1 gig memory card!) so downloading each night is almost a necessity! By downloading each night I can delete any pictures or video clips I don't like before saving it to the jump drive!

If you aren't able to figure out how to display your pictures on the TV via the laptop - most digital cameras come with cables so you can view the pictures on the TV directly from the camera. You could always view on the TV first before downloading to the laptop.

Have a WONDERFUL cruise and be sure to post your pics for us to droll over when you get back! :)

Memory cards are cheap... just pick up a few

Not sure which you are talking about, I use the 6 GB Microdrives and they cost 219.00 each. 8.2 Megapix on a Canon 20D uses up alot of memory.

I alway take my laptop to download my pics and view them everynight.

Ok - this is how neurotic I am! I am bringing my laptop so I can download my pics each night! I also have a 1 gig jump drive so after I download pics to the computer, I will also be saving a copy on my jump drive which will not be kept with my laptop or camera (in case one or the other gets stolen!) Top THAT! Am I a total nut job or what???? ;)

Nope. Another doomsday scenario would be a hard drive crash. I always bring my laptop and download photos daily or perhaps even more often.

My screen has a resolution of 1920x1200 which I suspect is better than most of the TVs on a ship.

Well, I sure am glad that I am not the only one who is neurotic!! Truthfully, I have never before even thought about carrying my laptop just to download pics until the camera was stolen in September.

I do have more than one memory card but never thought about changing it mid-stream to get pics on multiple cards. That's a great idea. I also like the idea of taking a jump drive as long as I am taking the computer with me.....great idea!

I have been trying to figure out how to prevent loss of all our pics (like last time) and the laptop was my best option. I definitely will take the camera cables so I can view the pics on the TV before downloading to the computer.

I do have multiple reasons for taking the laptop with me, business is one of them. But, business could be done via the ships Internet café if it was only email communications. We need to have some of the programs installed on the computer......still have to make a living even when we are vacationing!!! Would love to leave the laptop home and forget about business for the week. Sometimes that's just not feasible.

We are also doing 3 days in Orlando, Florida before we sail so I need to be in touch with my family and house/pet sitter. Cells phones are great but I prefer the written word! Proof of my instructions and I need my cruise critic daily fix!!!

Thanks all and have a wonderful day. We sail in 13 days! Maybe I will even do some "Live from the Miracle" posts---if I'm not to busy drinking those wonderful foo foo drinks :D, soaking up the sun (haven't seen bright sunshine and warmth for a few months now) and having a blast!

...I use duct tape or a bungee cord. It will stay securely fastened to the T.V. if you use quality duct tape.

Seriously, I would suggest you use one of those locking security cables to lock you laptop to something in the room, like a table leg, hanger bar in the closet, or anything that is fastend to the ship and would cause a would be thief to take a few minutes longer to get it.

You have legitimate need to take it, so it would be that much worse for you if it was stolen.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/231082601/1281906952062547426nsHthd

you will need a long cord to go from your puter to your tv-- there jsut isnt anything to lay the computer on except the desk.. a few feet away from the tv.

start practicing now while you are home with conencting it to the tv. Please do not let the laptop stay out in site in your cabin but lock it up in a suitcase.

If you bring a laptop that can burn CDs, you can also burn your pictures to CDs throughout the cruise. I wouldn't feel safe just knowing they were stored on the harddrive.

And of course, keep your photo CDs separate from your laptop so you don't lose everything if your laptop goes missing.

Use s-video, better picture.

To hook it up, connect the s-video cable to the s-video port on your laptop. Then the cable to the s-video port on your tv.

Usually you push funtion + f3 or f4 I think to allow the laptop to display on laptop screen, external moniter or both.

Once the set is hooked up, adjust your PC's resolution to 640x480 to match the output of the TV

Turn the tv channel to AV1 or whatever you plugged it into. It should work.

Also read this article

http://www.techlore.com/article/10061/

Archived