Has anyone done the Souks, Spices and Sands Itinerary

Phillygirl3

We are considering this itinerary for next year and would be very appreciative of any feedback regarding anyone having experience with this particular trip.  

I am reading some discouraging reports from posters who are saying that things are changing on Oceania, and not for the better.  The trip will be on the Sirena which is, I believe, one of the R ships which was at one time--Renaissance.  We sailed on Renaissance 3 times and did cruise once on Oceania to Central and South America through the Panama Canal.  The ship was fine but the itinerary wasn't one of our favorite.  We usually cruise on Regent and Seabourn but willing to give Oceania another try.  Again, thanks for any feedback!

No, I haven't done this one -- I took a few minutes to look up the itinerary.  It seems to me that I have seen many positive comments about this (or similar) itineraries.  I'm wondering if you might get a better response if you ask for opinions on the Dubai to Mumbai itinerary.

Even if people haven't had the exact same itinerary, if they know the beginning and ending ports they might well be able to chime in to answer your question better than I can!

Mura

14 minutes ago, Phillygirl3 said:

We are considering this itinerary for next year and would be very appreciative of any feedback regarding anyone having experience with this particular trip.  

I am reading some discouraging reports from posters who are saying that things are changing on Oceania, and not for the better.  The trip will be on the Sirena which is, I believe, one of the R ships which was at one time--Renaissance.  We sailed on Renaissance 3 times and did cruise once on Oceania to Central and South America through the Panama Canal.  The ship was fine but the itinerary wasn't one of our favorite.  We usually cruise on Regent and Seabourn but willing to give Oceania another try.  Again, thanks for any feedback!

I doubt that you'll find many folks who have much idea of what ports are in an itinerary for which you provide only a name, particularly since the names (and itineraries) in any particular region change over time. Even providing the dates would still require us to look up the itinerary. So, you may get more response if you just post the itinerary ports.

Then there's the issue of a few disgruntled reports here on CC vs the hundreds of glowing reviews.

I've been on Sirena twice in the past 9 months (both long cruises). All is well! We'll be back on her in December.

BTW, Sirena was purchased from Princess several years ago and had a $40 milllion makeover. And now, it (along with the other three R ships) are receiving the total NEXT project interior redesign.

Flatbush:  Thank you so much for your response.  I realized when I posted that I should have supplied the ports rather than the name of the cruise, but didn't have the info in front of me.  However, I am now listing the ports, so any and all feedback will be welcome as we have to make the decision to put a deposit on it by Monday.  Again, your feedback was appreciated.

The itinerary, minus the sea days and overnights in a few ports are as follows:

Dubai, Fujairah, UAE, Muscat Oman, Male Maldives, Cochin, India, Mangalore, India, Goa, India, Mumbai, India.

Phillygirl,

I still suggest that you start a new thread that at least gives the beginning and ending ports.  Then in your first post you can give the ports involves.

I'm not sure that people following this itinerary will necessary respond to your initial title which is the cruise name.

Some will, I am sure ... But I think you will get a better response if people see up front the itinerary.  Yes, the original title certainly tells people what area of the world you'll be in ... But I think many could need more specific info.

From what I have read in general there are many who have visited these ports.

Hope this helps,

Mura

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from an Oceania cruise and it was still fine...our 12th. We have done many of these ports years ago...Muscat was everyone's favorite, but the backwaters of Cochin, the tons to do in Dubai and shopping even for people like me who hate shopping, and the bustle of Mumbai are all must do's.

8 hours ago, clairann2000 said:

We just returned from an Oceania cruise and it was still fine...our 12th. We have done many of these ports years ago...Muscat was everyone's favorite, but the backwaters of Cochin, the tons to do in Dubai and shopping even for people like me who hate shopping, and the bustle of Mumbai are all must do's.

Hi.  I happened to come across your post.  We are doing the Oceania cruise in December which seems to be doing alot of the ports you did.  Any suggestions specifically for Muscat and Cochin?  (We've been to Dubai and Mumbai before which is why I'm not asking about those).  Thanks.

In Cochin we did a boat trip along the shady scenic river (I think it was a river...or canal) and had lunch at a hotel then toured the city a bit...it was a shore tour...the boat trip allowed you to see the homes up close and to enjoy watching the tons of houseboats being built and plying the water...we loved that trip.

Muscat we also did a shore tour ...traffic was awful...we went up to the hills and a modern castle like structure and then to a hotel to the beach...sat in traffic a ton, but enjoyed very much the bus trip to the country and the beautiful sea...we went by the huge mosque, but did not go in. It is very spread out, modern, clean and bright white...loads of fast food places mixed in with mosques and homes...I enjoyed it.